HP computers cannot do network boot?

Hi:

I have few HP pavilion desktops, and they all have built-in lan. I have set the network boot from boot priority to 1st and enabled the on-board lan, but the computers just dont go to the network boot menu when those computers restart. Are there any key I need to press to do the network boot in the HP computers?

I am sure that my RIS is working because i have been using the Win RIS to network boot all my workstations, but just cannot boot HP Pavilion computers.

Sincerely

BBMak

Couple of things you could try.

- You could look in the BIOS if there's an option to turn on the boot rom for the nic.

- Do you ever get to see the NIC boot screen? I've seen cases in which you have to change the setting of the nic to "PXE" in the nic's BIOS. You could check if there's a hotkey available to enter the nic's BIOS.

- Try a BIOS update.

- Only set the nic as boot device and disable the rest and see what that does.

- You could always try a seperate nic in case all of the above doesn't work. :)

- Do you ever get to see the NIC boot screen? I've seen cases in which you have to change the setting of the nic to "PXE" in the nic's BIOS. You could check if there's a hotkey available to enter the nic's BIOS.

How do I do that? I have checked the HP website, and they dont have anything talking about network boot.

It depends on what kind of nic you have. Only a few have these options. I don't know about yours.

But do you even have a PXE ROM on your nic? Can you turn it on seperately in your BIOS (Boot from LAN / Enable nic (option ROM)? Do you see a nic boot screen during startup or nothing at all.

If the answer to the above is "no", there's a good possibility your onboard nic doesn't support PXE and you will have to use a seperate nic to PXE boot the system.

the desktop is pavilion 7950.

It has the network boot option in the bios, so i guess the desktop has the network boot option. I also have few pavilion desktops, and i also cannot use network boot on them

the network boot option, should give you the change to press F12 after it has found a DHCP server and assigned the PC an ipaddress and subnet mask.

another thing you can do, is build a pc clean manually, install the intel pro drivers set and then look amongst the various options for tab that allows you to specify boot order etc, and then try to reboot and see if that works.

never used hp before so can't comment about bios set-up