from 98 to 98se its confusing!

Hi, yeah, so sometimes a girl needs help, I can admit that! :)

So, I wanna upgrade from w98, dated 4.10.1998 to 98SE? I see all these revertions from

ME down to 98se, or from 98SE to ME, but I need help with this 98-2-98SE:

1. Is there a package or download available to do it?

2. Will it be worth it, in general, of course, like stability, more apps

3. Izzit save?

And i apologize, if it was explained here somewhere, sorry, couldn't find it :wacko:

Maybe i will eventually upgrade to ME or what, but first i wanna do this, since i only have pentium II

Tnx!

You should probably swap in a second harddrive, backup data and do a clean win98se install. If that's not an option then possibly 2/ defrag the HD in question and repartition the drive w// FIPS so data can be stored on the second partition.

Did some digging around, FIPS appears to of lost its homepage, but FIPS can be downloaded from TUCOWS.

Hi, yeah, so sometimes a girl needs help, I can admit that! :)

So, I wanna upgrade from w98, dated 4.10.1998 to 98SE? I see all these revertions from

ME down to 98se, or from 98SE to ME, but I need help with this 98-2-98SE:

1. Is there a package or download available to do it?

3. Izzit save?

There's no download or other free way to do it. I paid $20 for an upgrade CD a few years ago, but I don't know if Microsoft still sells it. But if you installed the service pack for Win98-- the one that has been available from Microsoft for years now-- your system is supposedly already very close to Win98SE. However, I read that a long time ago, and I am not sure how true that is.

Maybe i will eventually upgrade to ME or what, but first i wanna do this, since i only have pentium II

How fast-- how many MHz?

How much RAM?

How big is the hard disk drive?

Phil

Edited by pcalvert

Apllications for the most part, yes. B)

There are some applications that will not install on Windows 98 First Edition, when they state Windows 98SE.

I use Windows 98 First Edition for my internet needs, and, Windows 98 Second Edition for my music needs.

There is a difference among the two in which many don't know about.

In terms of stability, I couldn't tell you. They both react the same for non internet

work, and, Windows 98SE isn't connected to the net.

Edited by Atmosphere XG

• 2 months later...

Thanks every one but that didn't really answer my question. and why is Fips so great? I think it would be a waste of space to have a 98 fe and a 98SE partition on the same pc and /or disk/whatever. Also, what can FIPS do what Partition manager can not, which has a GUI at that? Im puzzled.

I got one 8 gig disk and one 30 gig disk. 350mhz

I need an .ISO of this 98SE cd, on a http or FTP location, please!

Edited by KillerFlowerGrrrl

All you need is FDISK...

...and read the PM I sent you.

Me too

I need an .ISO of this 98SE cd, on a http or FTP location, please!
Can I also have a PM LLXX ?

eidenk these people are trying to work with the tools available to them, they are trying to make the os we know and love carry on for a long time into the future. If you can for one moment be creative and equal or surpass the work that these people here have achieved then kudos to you. If you can suggest alternative methods in which the above can be completed I am sure we will welcome it with open arms. I am not a friend of anybody here but feel we all have a common goal

As LLXX refuses to adress any of my points I made to her by PM., here is an extract of the correspondence :

I know well enough to not post such download links in public. But the PM system is private.

First, what difference does it make between posting such links directly on the forum and trumpeting that those in dire need of MS OSes ISO images can PM you for that ?

Second, if you wanted to act "privately" as you say, you would not need to advertise that in your forum posts. You'd PM directly the posters without writing anything about it on the forum.

Third, don't you think that such a use of MSFN's PM system does amount to betrayal ?

Fourth, don't you think you put this forum at risk of being closed by acting like that ?

Even though I would probably be banned from here for doing such in public I am quite certain that M$ is not going to go after any 'intellectual property losses incurred' from the unauthorised distribution of software which they do not even profit from nor even support, much less in private.
Your reasoning is senseless. You are quite certain of blahblah. You are not certain of anything.
Let me remind you that many of the projects which involve modifying the OS files such as nLite and so on are already a violation of the MS EULA. M$ isn't losing any profits from it (in fact nLite is probably helping XP sales a little, seeing as users now have a way to customise the OS better), but if they were they would come down hard and shut this place down.

You don't have to remind me anything, especially when it is almost totally irrelevant to the subject at hand which is the illegal distribution of full MS OSes.

I'd rather have a moderator tell me what to do, so let's leave it at that.

Eidenk, I don't know if it has sense to discuss thinks like that.

Everybody can use any P2P system and download any version of any MS operating system or even to Google for some of them, it is like to discuss whether it is permitted to write that you can buy marijuana at certain places. Everybody knows that using (and even possession of) marijuana is illegal (almost everywhere). And everybody knows that it is illegal to use software without proper license.

Petr

Edited by Petr

Everybody can use any P2P system and download any version of any MS operating system or even to Google for some of them, it is like to discuss whether it is permitted to write that you can buy marijuana at certain places. Everybody knows that using (and even possession of) marijuana is illegal (almost everywhere). And everybody knows that it is illegal to use software without proper license.

Petr

You could have avoided this post Petr, frankly. I thought we could be smart enough to avoid that :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=84629

Sadly, as with all self destructive social deviants, LLXX does not respond to sound arguments but only to the fear of the cop.

Eidenk, maybe its on different note, but I think it is necessary to repat these things for all newcomers:

1. It is very easy to download any software from the Internet.

2. It is illegal to use it if you don't have the proper license, in some countries it is even illegal just to download and own it, not only to use it.

It is so important because many people repeat here and in other discussions: "I have downloaded the software from the Internet, so it must be legal.". Even sites like http://www.dll-files.com/ distribute software illegaly and most of their users believe it is legal.

The responsibility is always on the end user who has to do the right decision.

Petr

@ Eidenk you should not use no unofficial patches/Service Packs

if you feel the way you feel.

You blackballing getting topics closed for nothing

you to old for that won't you stop it. :realmad::realmad:

Apparently M$ don't care if they ended support.

So why should you. :realmad::realmad:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Petr

You could have avoided this post Petr, frankly. I thought we could be smart enough to avoid that :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=84629

Sadly, as with all self destructive social deviants, LLXX does not respond to sound arguments but only to the fear of the cop.

If you want to start a flamewar, I'm ready... just don't expect to win :whistle: