AMD to buy ATI

SiMoNsAyS

UPDATE : Microsoft revokes / Not Prolongs, ATI chipset licence...

[...]

based on the inquirer....

There are no such news. Microsoft doesn't even license chipsets or such. They're an unrelated 3rd party. Seemingly, you're referring to the old and very expected "news" of Intel pulling their bus (to the CPU) license, which truly doesn't surprise anyone... They're all at the mercy of Intel over this one (some were granted rights as a result of a lawsuit, but for a limited time and such). Hardly a big deal either.

I think it's a good merger though, and more or less they had to do it to stay competitive and survive. Combined with the price slashing, it's very good news. I was thinking of getting a Core 2 Duo (the day they become available which may be a while), even though the motherboard selection is poor and their prices are quite high. Spending an extra 100$ on a motherboard for a 300$ CPU that beat's AMD top of the line FX62 that was like 1500$ when the Core 2 Duo was announced still seemed like a good deal. But now with AMD having somewhat comparable prices, and a far better selection of motherboards which are also better priced... I'll likely be getting a X2 4200+ soon, and a very nice motherboard :)

ATI will bring a LOT of good stuff to AMD. PC-wise AMD only makes CPUs (disregarding things like flash and such), whereas Intel makes CPUs, chipsets, GPUs, and the whole nine yards. ATI will being chipset and GPU technology to AMD, which will also be able to compete, making half decent boards with everything AMD on it (their own chipsets, and half decent video). I mean, the Intel GMA900 video costs them like 4$ to produce IIRC (sufficient for most non-gamers really). Things are starting to get interesting!

i think it's a very wise business decision that was inevitable.

this is an acquisition that AMD absolutely needed to remain competitive, and i think the price they paid is indicative of the deal's importance to them.

Im guessing your an Intel fanboy with comments like that. AMD have been the top dog for the past 3-4 years and increased their market share by quite alot. Intel have only just managed to catch up and produce some decent processors although their support for 64bit applications is still a total joke.

AMD have done a clever thing really, buy merging with ATI they have practucally forced Intel into following their business strategy with these socketed GPUs that they are talking about. nVidia still love AMD as its their biggest source of profit and will also follow suit also. Alot of things are going to happen in a few years time and im guessing AMD will have an even larger percentage of the market.

My, my my, that is a BIAS AMD statement. I am wondering their is more to AMD's acquisition of ATI, i really do not care. I have an intel but i also have amd as well, so how does my question make me a intel fanboy.

Line Removed to be in compliance MSFN rules and regulations regarding code of conduct.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

i still prefer amd, iv never liked intel. the only reason i have an intel PII in my laptop, is because the older intel's did work better than the older amds. but with the introduction of the Athlon chip, they had intel. i suspect that in the next few years, intel will either, produce a much faster chip than amd, or , it will go under. being a big company though, they may just survive on average sales. they may have to down size, but i think they will remain in the shadows for quite some time.

i did a benchmark with a p4 computer and my desktop, and my desktop blew the thing outa the water.

the p4 was a 2.0ghz, 512mb sdram, ati radeon 9600

mine:

amd athlon xp 1800+, 512mb sdram , ati radeon 9200se

mine encoded mp3s faster, ran games faster, booted faster, and the menu's when on the fade effect didnt stutter.

i just wish i had the screenshot of the benchmark still, **** ext hdd :realmad:

hmm.. socketed gpu. ive never heard of this before and doing some research on it is getting me very interested. this is a very cool idea and im sure that amd+ati will get it done within the next few years.

Saying things like an Intel dominated world is a complete fanboy comment. They do not totalyl dominate the world. The only thing that Intel has over AMD is the laptop market. the last 3-4 years with the Athlons and Opterons AMD have been the favoured chip in the mainstream and server markets. Intel should definately get those back now though with the new chips theyve produced.

It is quite interesting to hear about these socketed GPUS, They will be sharing the memory pool that the CPU uses which unfortunately means that your going to need a huge amount of memory to have a top performing system. I cant really see many benefits for it right now but im sure there are some. By the time they come along though we should be into socket AM3 which will hopefully have support for DDR3 or DDR4 memory.

Also Shindo just because you dont like ppl correcting you over clearly bias views there is no need to be rude. I would appreciate it if you kept those kinds of comments to urself in future as they will not be appreciated on these forums.

Edited by Scubar

woo amd bought them!

good business decision imo. amd needs to be better known.

I forgot to mention this some time ago, but to back up my statement i waited for supporting documents. AMD has not offiially aquired ATI. IT was offically announced that they would aquire ATI. The plans are set, the perposed deal is their but as for the officially becomeing one company, it is not done

Source - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2807

also by reading that article, which is amazing btw, thx for posting it. but for what i got out of it amd when they have quad core procs, they could possible make one or two of those cores for the gpu.