Best Desktop Search

Aegis

Best Desktop Search  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best desktop search application?

• Ask Jeeves Desktop Search
    • AutoFocus
    • Autonomy
    • Beetext
    • Blinkx
    • Copernic Desktop Search
    • dtSearch Desktop
    • Exalead One Desktop
    • Google Desktop Search
    • ISYS:desktop
    • Windows Desktop Search
    • X1 Enterprise Client
    • Yahoo! Desktop Search

Sorry if a similar poll already exists. Did a search and surprisingly, I couldn't find such a poll. I think I listed all of the major desktop search applications. Sad thing is, I've tried every one of them, and my favorite is still Google Desktop Search. It's not nearly as powerful as dtSearch or ISYS, but I like the simple web interface. Might've gone with dtSearch, if it weren't dependent on Internet Explorer. WDS was also a possible alternative, but it was dependent on Windows Explorer.

Anyway, enough about my preference. Tell me about yours!

Hey, why you are not added to your poll program we mentioned in neighbour topic? I'm talking about VistaGlance. Please, can you add two positions into your poll:

1) Other (for those users, who using another software)

2) VistaGlance

No idea how to edit polls :blushing:...And VistaGlance wouldn't fit anyway, after I add none and other.

Poll results thus far are ironic, to say the least. People complain all the time about how they hate IE and WMP being tightly integrated into Windows, but yet that's exactly what WDS does, and people are flocking to that software. Am I missing something here? GDS can't be that bad...

Edited by Aegis

Poll results thus far are ironic, to say the least. People complain all the time about how they hate IE and WMP being tightly integrated into Windows, but yet that's exactly what WDS does, and people are flocking to that software. Am I missing something here? GDS can't be that bad...

I bet the people that complain about the integration dont use any desktop search. The people that use IE and WMP probably use WDS as well thats all.

With what little I've used of these programs, I'd have to say that Windows Desktop search is the best so far.

The fact that all the configuration for Google Desktop Search is done through the browser is a bad idea, because you're now relying on the user's browser to be compatible with your setup (which beta releases might not be).

Copernic Desktop search didn't seem to have anything special about it, and the toolbar integration was strange at best. You have to select what you want to search for before you can type it in...

The fact that WDS is tightly knit with WIndows isn't really a bad thing at all. It makes it feel like it's a part of the OS - not a separate application. If I want to find something, I'd like to be able to just go and type it in - not have to open up a completely new window.

I'm gonna keep using WDS for a while and see how things go. I just really wish that there was a way to remove the tray icon... :(

• 2 months later...