Slipstreaming R2 disc?

i was wondering, is there a way to intergrate/slipstream (like in homes and sp2) the r2 disc into the original windows 2003 cd (so i dont need to install it when i first boot up after a format) ? i tried serching on this forum and google but nothing came up. oww yeah and im using it with the nlite program so im removing some useless components so i dont want r2 reinstalling the stuff i remove.

any help would be apperciated

:whistle:

root of the CD

lol...how is that slipstreaming....because R2 will require a different Key...and run from setup...so you really can't just slipstream..but merely add it..so one doesnt have to use the R2 CD.

It has been tried and tested by hundreds of ppl and works perfectly. Copy the R2 disc to the root of the cd and it should install everything.

dont ask me how but thats what works for everyone else

copy R2 disc to root of CD1

obiviously it is >719MB so u have to do it with some DVD (unless it is not nlited)

then install with R2 key

after install on first logon

it will automatically start installing R2

u only have 2 press OK

i dunno know how 2 elliminate tha OK and make it automatically

Edited by Innocent Devil

Anyway to do it in nLite?

copy R2 disc to root of CD1

obiviously it is >719MB so u have to do it with some DVD (unless it is not nlited)

then install with R2 key

after install on first logon

it will automatically start installing R2

u only have 2 press OK

i dunno know how 2 elliminate tha OK and make it automatically

I too fought with this but ended up just forgetting about it.

However, I did wonder what would happen if you simply renamed the file that starts the install...setup2.exe I think (At least that's how you manually run it). So since it's renamed it should fail the install, and hopefully without any error message. Next you could invoke the setup through whatever you want (GUIRunOnce, WPI, etc) and add the syntax to make it silent...it's kinda a lame way to accomplish it, but it should work. Just never really had the time or need (Use VM's now, never install again) to test it out.

I use the method's described in the Deploy.chm of the R2 Discs...

Automating Windows Server 2003 R2 SetupWindows Server 2003 R2 Setup consists of two parts:

Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 Setup (Disc 1)

Windows Server 2003 R2 Setup (Disc 2)

Windows Server 2003 R2 requires several changes in a network preinstallation used with an answer file.

When you perform an unattended installation of Windows Server 2003 R2, you will not be guided through the installation by the Windows Server 2003 R2 Setup Wizard, and you must accept the following conditions:

If Windows Server 2003 R2 is already installed on your computer, Setup will automatically reinstall Windows Server 2003 R2.

Once you install Windows Server 2003 R2, you will not be able to uninstall Service Pack 1 (SP1).

If the activation period of the product key that you use has an expired activation period, you will need to reactivate the operating system the first time you log on.

If you do not specify the /sr option (to suppress the restart of the computer), the computer will restart after the installation is complete.

Updating a Distribution Share or RIS Image For Windows Server 2003 R2

To perform a network installation of Windows Server 2003 R2, you must first add the \Cmpnents folder from Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2 to a Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 distribution share at the same level as the platform folder, where platform equals i386 or amd64.

For example, if the path to the platform folder in your distribution share is \\Srv1\windist\i386, copy the \Cmpnents folder from the Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2 to \\Srv1\windist\Cmpnents.

To perform a Remote Installation Services (RIS) installation of Windows Server 2003 R2, you must first add the \Cmpnents folder from the Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2 to a Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 RIS image at the same level as the platform folder, where platform equals i386 or amd64. You must also associate a new answer file to a Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 RIS image, as described in the next section.

Note

If you do not place the \Cmpnents folder in the same folder that contains the Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 platform folder, a dialog box will appear during Windows Server 2003 R2 Setup, prompting for the location of the Setup2.exe file. A similar dialog box will appear during the installation of optional Windows components.

Modifying the Answer File for Windows Server 2003 R2

To perform an unattended installation of Windows Server 2003 R2 from a network or local source, you must add an entry to the answer file that launches Windows Server 2003 R2 Setup, and change the ProductKey entry to the appropriate Windows Server 2003 R2 product key. When installing from a distribution share or local source, this is the Unattend.txt file; when using RIS, this is a new .sif file associated with an existing Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 image.

To modify a Windows Server 2003 answer file to perform an unattended installation of Windows Server 2003 R2, add the following text to the [GUIRunOnce]section of the Unattend.txt answer file or the appropriate RIS .sif answer file, where server_name is the name of the server hosting the distribution share and share_name is the name of the distribution share:

[GUIRunOnce]

"cmd /c net use \\server_name\share_name"

"cmd /c \\server_name\share_name\cmpnents\r2\setup2.exe /q /a"

If your distribution share requires authentication, add the /user and password options to the net use command. For example, include the following line:

[GUIRunOnce]

"cmd /c net use \\srv1.contoso.local\windist /user:CONTOSO\installer Password"

"cmd /c \\srv1.contoso.local\windist\cmpnents\r2\setup2.exe

/q /a"

Note

When installing from a local source, omit the net use line and substitute the local path for the server name and share name. For RIS installations, omit the net use entry.

SourcePath and Windows Server 2003 R2 Components

If you install Windows Server 2003 with an answer file that includes the OEMPreinstall = Yes entry, the SourcePath registry key is automatically reset to the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM drive after Setup completes but before the [GuiRunOnce] commands are executed. Additionally, if the SourcePath registry key does not point to the folder that contains the \Cmpnents folder, end users are prompted to insert Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2 when using the Windows Components Wizard to install Windows Server 2003 R2 components.

You can use the SourcePath entry in Winbom.ini to set the SourcePath key to the location of the \i386 or \amd64 and \Cmpnents folders during Sysprep factory mode.

If you do not use Sysprep factory mode, you can change the SourcePath registry key by adding the following lines to the [GUIRunOnce] section of the Unattend.txt answer file, where source_path is the desired SourcePath value, such as %WINDIR%:

"cmd /c reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

/v SourcePath /t REG_SZ /d source_path /f"

"cmd /c reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

/v ServicePackSourcePath /t REG_SZ /d source_path /f"

Note

Sysprep resets the SourcePath registry key to the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM drive during Mini-Setup if the path is inaccessible or invalid at the time Mini-Setup tests it. This can happen if the SourcePath is set to a UNC network share. To avoid resetting the SourcePath key, use the ResetSourcePath entry in Sysprep.inf before launching Sysprep.

Before you run an unattended network-based installation or upgrade of Windows Storage Server 2003 R2, you must modify the SourcePath registry key to identify the location of the R2 installation files.

To identify the location of the R2 installation files

Install Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Set the SourcePath registry key to point to the R2 installation files.

Install Windows Storage Server 2003 R2.

After Nasr2Setup completes, restore the registry key.

To preinstall Windows Storage Server, click Add, and then type Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 Setup in the Display box.

This text appears on the screen during Sysprep Factory mode.

Type the path to Nasr2Setup.cmd in the Setup Command box, and then click OK.

For example, type %WINDIR%\system32\nasr2setup.cmd in the Setup Command box.

Open the Unattend.txt file in the configuration set, and then add the following section:

[GUIRunOnce]

"cmd /c move c:\cmpnents %WINDIR%"

"cmd /c REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\R2Setup /v cd2chain /t REG_DWORD /d 0"

Completing this step ensures that Windows Server 2003 R2 Setup and the Windows Components Wizard can access the Windows Server 2003 R2 files.

Note

After Windows Storage Server 2003 Setup (Nasr2Setup.cmd) completes, it restarts the server. To suppress this reboot, type the /sr option in the Command-Line Arguments box.

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, I have a slightly odd and somewhat opposite question related to the subject of this thread, namely:

How do I *stop* the R2 installer (CD2Chain.exe) from running on startup?

Why you ask? Well, Microsoft, in Bill's infinite wisdom, has decided to provide us with a volume license key that only works with the R2 release media, but our product does not yet support R2 so must be installed under 2003SP1. We use an unattended install script to deploy our servers, but the annoying dialog requesting the R2 disc 2 pops up and requires manual intervention to continue the automated deployment.

I have searched the registry for CD2chain.exe and came up with nothing. Can someone tell me what's starting it and how to make it stop?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I have been investigating this and am also trying to either prevent the R2 Setup to continue so I can run the silent install manually. As was previously posted this method works but I try and install the R2 with GUIRunOnce but the R2 Install comes up with the screens at the same time it is running. This is no good.

So I would like to prevent it or actually slipstream R2. Not Just copy it so it doesn't ask for the second CD.

I am going to experiment more but I think this is a worthwhile en devour. If we could slipstream it then we COULD Slipstream SP2 after. If you do SP2 then when install for R2 Starts it says it is not compatible but if R2 is done FIRST then SP2 works perfect with R2. Go Figure.

I am experimenting but I am not sure where to start (Even to prevent the Auto Install of R2 at first log-in).