Microsoft Tidbits

which version of Windows are you doing this on Pro or Home

Take the WINNTBBU.DLL and place it in the i386 then double click the Setup.exe in the root folder were you placed your Windows Files and click Install and see it that works to show you your setup screen.

XP Pro with Sp1 slipstreamed

running an unattended install, multi version per Gosh's instructions

In "Gosh XP" you don't have setup.exe...

but I took a winntbbu into my old setup and no images there either...

Do you need both the packed one (.dl_) as well as the unpacked (.dll) !?

Some odd sh-t that is...

Put both files .dll .dl_ in the old setup, run Setup.exe and it works just fine.

Try the same thing on Gosh's version in WMWare.... no-nothing.

Using "gosh xp" you won't have winnt.exe or winnt32.exe. You can copy the setup.exe from the cd to the root of your local source, if you want to use the xp setup program (you can use it for everything but installing xp).

-gosh

• 4 weeks later...

I've been making a install screen to match my complete redhat conversion of xp, and this is where its at

LINK

The only problem is the white text, is it possible to have the text as black? I've looked through the string table and I cant find anything where 255,255,255 is written. Any help will be appreciated? Also perhaps the green bar that comes up for the progress, a nice blue for that would be good.

I asked a while ago, nobody knew. I fixed it by adding a black layer directly above my layer (in your case it would be the white part). Then lowering the opacity to about 20%. It will turn it to a sort of grey so you can see the text

I386\SYSTEM32\SMSS

I386\WINNTBBA.DLL

I386\WINNTBBU.DLL

I386\WINNT32U.DLL

I386\USETUP.EXE

that all i found so far.

:excited:  :excited:  :excited:  :excited:

it seems the:

I386/system32/smss & I386/usetup.exe are the same file (when I look at them w/reshacker)..they have the same bitmaps.

So, I have the bitmap I wanna use..do I change it in both files or just one?

Ok , well I've partially figured it out .....

small.gif

Large pic here

The file I hacked was I386/WINNTBBU.DLL  ( I use resource Hacker )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main background is bitmap 103 ( 256 colours )

Bitmaps 100 , 101 , 102 are for the logo in the top left. Dunno why there are 3 - different resolutions maybe ?

Bitmaps 185 to 188 are for the flashing activity glyphs in the bottom right.

Bitmaps 104 , 105 , 109 are for the Status buttons on the left.

You can change the text that is displayed by editing the String Table entries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you're done editing you need to recompress the dll to winntbbu.dl_

to do this , open a cmd prompt in the I386 folder and type: "makecab winntbbu.dll" it'll create the winntbbu.dl_ for ya.

Thats all I've figured out at the moment , have fun  :)

Got a broken link there now..but anyhow...what you described is right. Everything is right there - just make sure ya edit the right bitmaps or you'll have a strange looking setup. Be sure to back up your I386/WINNTBBU.DLL first in case ya jack it all up....

Which is what I'm about to go attempt.........

I'd like to know more about the String table...how to change the font, colours and font size - like in String Table 1-1033...what are all those #'s for? Same for 2-1033.

Who wants to help me out here..or point me in a direction that will give me all the information and then some on the winntbbu.dll file......... :/

• 1 month later...

how can i make the top left corner logo that says windows xp,, how can i make that transparent so it dosnt have the black back ground and it can look good with any back ground i choose ? and if this isnt possible,, is it possible to just remove the logo all together,,,, if i removed it, would that hurt the functioning of that set up screen ?

let me know what ya think..

• 3 months later...

How do I find what resolution these bmps have (those included in winntbbu.dll)?

After recompressing winntbbu.dll I have to copy both (modified winntbbu.dll and the new winntbbu.dl_ created) in I386?