Samsung Combo not detecting DVDs

Hi all,

I'm facing this weird problem....

I have a Samsung Combo Drive which has stopped detecting DVDs. It recognises and write CDs .

Strangely it does not detect DVDs only on my PC. I took it to the vendor i ought the drive n it worked like a charm there...

What can be the problem.. I formatted my drive (well it was due anyway..it didnt help here..)

The Jumper is set to MA position

My config is

AMD Athlon 64 2800+

Asus K8S-MX

512 MB DDR 400 MHz Kingston

Seagate 160 GB (SATA Drive)

BIG 6200 (256 MB) (with an nvidia chipset)

Sony FDD

I have a 300W PSU

If anyother input is required from my end pls do let me know.......

Thx

- BIOS reset

- Change IDE-cable and use a seperate cable for your HDD and Combo

- Try the drive on CL

- Install latest drivers

These are the things you could try, tell us if it worked ;)

Okay, few more queries

I've already bought a new IDE cable n will try it out.

How do i put the HDDand the Combo on separate cables ( sounds stupid but.....)

I hope using the driver on CL means changing the jumper setting.....does it?

Thx fot the help

I can see that you are new with this, but it’s okay ;).

Your motherboard has 2 IDE connectors and most of the time it’s better to keep one connector for Harddrives and the other one for the optical drives like your combo. I didn’t see that your drive was a 160GB SATA drive so you don’t have to worry about “keeping them separately" because it always has its own cable.

To put the jumper on your drive on CS (Cable Select) could help sometimes. Also resetting the BIOS can do wonders, it could be that the BIOS is set wrong for the transfer speed. Also Windows does strange things if it noticed that the connection between the Drive and the motherboard isn’t good, I have seen this on VIA chipsets, switching from UDMA mode to PIO mode witch is only 16MB/s. Change that cable to see if it helps, also you could try the other IDE connector on your motherboard.

I hope I explained it better like this :).

Yea u got it right, I'm new with this...

For me resetting the BIOS will be a big thing. So I'll do it at last if nothing else works.

Rite now I'll replace my IDE cable and will try using the second IDE connector.

Something that I cant understand is...Once ina while it does recognise a DVD and the very next moment it'll stop working again....

Is it possible that the PSU may also be responsible for this erratic behaviour?

Thx again

The update on the problem is as follows:

1) I tried using the new IDE cable..... No result. I think this new cable is sub - standard . Sometimes the drive was detected and sometimes it wasnt.

2) I tried using both the IDE connectors on the mobo. No change.....

3) One thing that i have noticed is... When i put in a DVD it does not spin cntinously like a CD. It'll start off and then go dead.... On the other hand CDs when inserted keep spinning for some particular amount of time and then spin down.

4) Can u guide me with the BIOS reset pls and the possible problems it can cause if i make a mistake.

Thx

Their are cases where DVD r/rw drives do not fuction well as a Master to any IDE channel, such as my drive, which i have on slave Channel 0.

My hard drives are SATA drives.

Can u pls let me know how do i make this drive a slave.....

Thx

Pick a IDE Channel, Channel 0 or Channel 1, does not really matter but on your Drive their is a set of pins that can automatically set it to Master or Slave, or select it with the pins to Master or Slave. If you have your documentations that came with the drive then look at the diagram that shows setting Drive. IF you do not have them then recommend getting the drive model and paying a visit to the manufactures site. Bios automatically detects drives so you relly can't force it.

Regarding cables usually Hard drives require a 80 conductor 40 pin ribbon cable and devices such as CD's can use the standard 40 conductor 40 pin ribbon cable.

I have elected to use all 80 pin calbes for optimal settings.

What is the full specs of your system

My config is

AMD Athlon 64 2800+

Asus K8S-MX

512 MB DDR 400 MHz Kingston

Seagate 160 GB (SATA Drive)

BIG 6200 (256 MB) (with an nvidia chipset)

Sony FDD

I have a 300W PSU

anything else that u need to know........??

Hardware models numbers, for DVD/CD drives and current bios version

In my experience a simple Firmware upgrade to the drive or BIOS upgrade to the Mobo solve the problem

COMBO : SH-M522C

AMIBIOS Version : 08.00.11 Buid Date : 08/03/05

I have already upgraded the firmware for the drive.

Havent tried the BIOS upgrade yet.

@nitroshift

I'd rather clean the lens of the drive...

For cleaning the lens, do i need to get a special CD or something? I think i have heard of Lens Cleaner disks...Is there any other option?

Edited by the_anomaly