DVD Size Limit

My DVD size for my uninstall is about 4.59 GB. The size on the disk says 4.59 GB (4,931,874,816 bytes. Using that I get an error message that varies; sometimes it refers to line 1 in inf in Winnt.sif and sometimes it refers to TXTSETUP.SIF. If I delete one of my apps to bring the size down to about 3.5 GB, it works without any errors. I've not yet determined what size works between 3.5 GB and 4.59 GB.

Is there some size limit for an uninstall DVD (besides the disk capacity itself?

Size limit for standard DVD's are roughly 4,45 GB I think. If you need more space, consider using doublesided discs (.8.5 GB) but that's only possible when your burner supports it.

i dont think that's what Miles4 was asking :rolleyes:

as for ur question miles4, i have no idea :wacko:

joll69, I don't have any problem burning the DVD at the size I mention. My question is more whether the size I am burning can cause the error messages I'm getting. Are you saying that if I set the image as if it were a double-layer DVD (i.e., 8.5 GB capacity) and burn say 7 GBs that I won't get the error messages? In otherwords, are you saying I'm getting the error messages because I burning in excess of the a standard DVD's capacity, even though that DVD burns that amount without a problem?

Thanks.

IMHO, if you're testing your DVD in a virtual PC, there should be no problem with your disc size, problem will be when you burn it, remember:

DVD-5 is a single sided single layer DVD that stores up to about 4.7 GB = 4 700 000 000 bytes and that is 4.38 computer GigaBytes where 1 kilobyte is 1024 bytes(4 700 000 000B/1024 = about 4 589 843KB/1024 = about 4485MB/1024 = about 4.38GB) . Video DVD, DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W supports this format. Often referred to as "single sided, single layer"

Of course you can always use a DL DVD ;)

I am using Virtual Machine to test it and that's when I get the error messages. But if I reduce its size by deleting an app (NERO) to about 3.5 GBs, it installs fine without any errors. So, it doesn't seem to be an issue of what can actually burn (and I easily could use a DL DVD). It's something going on with the size.

Any other thoughts out there?

This issue has something to do with the RyanPostSP2Updates and addons. If I do everything but use that and then burn the DVD image, it all works fine in Virtual Machine. If I then use RyanPostSP2Updates and addons and burn the same DVD image after that with about the same size, I start getting the error messages I noted before unless I reduce the size of the DVD.

Anyone know what's causing this?