GUI Run Once, and Then 1 Other Time? :)

I wanted to install a number of system files (25-30) that I've edited with different icons etc...

After much effort and no success...it seems apparent that in order to batch-install them, I'll have to reboot between the hotfixes and the install of these files....

Does anyone know of a way that I could make this automatically happen? (the other alternative is for me to use the command prompt from the XP cd).....

If I could somehow automate it to run the systemfiles batch file I have after it reboots, it would be really nice...

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone could suggest anything.... :/

Ok, let me see if I get this right... you want to install some hotfixes (like in unattended mode), restart, and then after the restart (and all the hotfixes have been installed correctly) copy some system files?

If this is the case then:

Create a system_U.reg file and (for this example) put it in C:\installs\

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
"system_U"="C:\installs\system_U.bat"

and then in your last bat file (I guess the hotfixes, but it doesn't matter), type this: regedit.exe /s C:\installs\system_U.reg.

Then create a system_u.bat file to copy over all your system files.

So basically what happened was, your last bat file, put a registry entry in the registry, to run system_U.bat after the reboot.

]Bonkers[

I've managed to do that. As the last part of my 'Main_Batch.cmd' I use a IEAK install of IE6SP1 which insists on rebooting when finished, so to get the other two batches to run on reboot I've created a batch file called 'batches.cmd' which runs 'hotfixes.cmd' and then 'applications.cmd'. The code to add to the regular 'RegTweaks.Reg' is:

"Batches"="c:\software\batches.cmd"

Hope that helps. :)

Sweet! :)

Thanks guys...I am really psyched 'cuz now it will be truly unattended...

I guess it'll be one more cd! hehe...but hey what's one more when you're over 10 already...

I'll try this out and post results...

Actually they run about 3 times. I wonder is it to do with my autologon - which I set to 5 logons, it seems to stop when I have to log on manually. It could be a coincidence so I'll try to log it more thoroughly tomorrow.

Just to clarify on this....in order for me to get this to function properly, I had to enter the code as follows:

"Batches"="c:\\software\\batches.cmd"

(notice the double slashes - \\ above

Whereas "Batches" is just your own name for what you're doing (doesn't matter).

"c:\\software\\batches.cmd" is the path to the .cmd file you want to run at next login

"batches.cmd" is the actual name of your .cmd file which runs whatever actions you want... :)

Nope...no auto-logon here.

But while we're on the subject...

I'm interested in using Auto-login....but how can you get it to auto-log-you-in by your user name, and not as Administator? I want to run the batch files while I"m logged in by my user name...not as Administrator...?

Hope that makes sense...think I need some sleep :)