Where is Gape?

I was wondering the same thing.

I was expecting an announcement about the release of a final unofficial service pack.

you mean a newer version of the unofficial 98se service pack. you will see it when Gape is ready to release it. right now he is very busy working on it.

• 1 month later...

now it has been almost TEN months since version 2.1a of the 98se service pack was released.

I hope Gape releases the new version of the SP before the year 2006 actually ends and the 98se SP project is still active.

on the other hand, I read in the Win2k Hotstream forum that the unofficial Win2k SP5.1 project has been put on hold:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=82148

what's the hurry --- 2.1a still works great for me!

regards to Gape -- I sort of silently say him name every time I think of how stable my 'puter is

and, with thanks to you all ... 98 forever -- the blood and guts of plain old goodness

:hello: well said molecule dude.sp2.1a is killer as is.and im sure hes been bombared with email asking where hes been be patient the guy has a life a job etc.before sp2 i crash after sp2 ived never blue screened i thank u gapes .see ya soon maybe we should have a guess the next sp release date contest lol.i say sept17th.

what's the hurry

Good question. Unless you have concerns about being able to uninstall the pack (I believe that the uninstall INF files contains errors - or have I dreamt that up?) - but why would you want to do that? - and just as long as you don't find it too much trouble to keep up with and apply the updates listed at the 9x updates thread, then USP 2.1a is great, and continues to serve you well.

Personal opinion alert: I tend to think that Gape will not finish a new USP. I'm guessing that with other things going on in his life, keeping up with the project and giving it his full dedication is becoming harder and harder. Again, I don't know this, but it's my guess.

This is not to say that I think that a new version will never appear. I think it will. But I think that it won't be completed by Gape.

By the way, I hope I'm proved wrong - it would be great to see Gape deliver a new version. But in a way, it doesn't matter who delivers it, as long as a new version is delivered that meets the high standards that Gape has reached with 2.1a. And as I said above, USP 2.1a can still continue to meet our needs, up to a point.

Edited by bristols

Hopefully he is working on a new release and will complete it. He then will deserve and and get credit for much hard work and if he wants, can past the torch to someone else. It would be nice if he would leave a message so everyone will know his plans.

i agree it don't matter who brings it just bring it

exactly, PROBLEMCHYLD! I hope some people like Big Monstro dont ask in the future when the next release of 98se SP will come out. if anyone else wants to b*tch about that will have to answer to me. the next version is inevitable but we all need to wait patiently for Gape to release it.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...

i agree it don't matter who brings it just bring it

exactly, PROBLEMCHYLD! I hope some people like Big Monstro dont ask in the future when the next release of 98se SP will come out. if anyone else wants to b*tch about that will have to answer to me. the next version is inevitable but we all need to wait patiently for Gape to release it.

exactly, erpdude8!

And in the meantime, we should make every attempt to minimize any grief for him by hashing out all issues he would want to deal with and show as united a position about what should and should not be done, etc. What is also inevitable is that there may not be much after said next release!

cjl