nVidia network drivers

fastrep

Hello

Some months ago I succeeded in creating a Windows PE image with support for the nVidia network drivers on a Asus K8N. I used the following method: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...4&hl=nvidia

Now I'm trying to do the same for a Asus A8N-VM motherboard, but it's becoming a real pain. After having burnt, tried and throwed away about twenty cd's, I consult this forum.

I followed the instructions, put the driver files into place (the dll's, the sys's, ...), even copied them in about every directory (even though I know the dll doesn't belong in the folder system32\drivers\etc, I did try it...). It just doesn't recognize the network card. I found something strange though, I've seen a service called nvenetfd, and if I add this to setupreg.hiv, Windows PE fails with a BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Without this service in setupreg.hiv, it just doesn't work.

Maybe I have to try a different approach? I can't go through so much effort each time a new variant of the nVidia chipset is released.

The approach I use now is, start up in WinPE, then start an application which connects to the network, asks some information to the user, and then copies the right files (for example a dutch Windows XP with Office XP) to the hard drive, and starts the Windows setup.

I've looked into the unattended cd/dvd guide, but this doesn't work for me, because I must be able to choose various parameters in the beginning of the setup. Like the language of the windows, in which domain it should be, which software should be on the pc, ... All needed sources are copied from the network, it would be impossible to fit on one dvd. And it's not very handy to have different dvd's for different windows languages and versions (2000 - XP - NL - EN - FR ...).

If the network driver would work, I would be happy. But it doesn't. Maybe it's a solution to use the new Windows PE you're talking about? But I'm not a Microsoft partner, and don't have access to all those beta programs. I'm a small company, offering services mainly to schools. How can I obtain the files to create WinPE2005 cd's? If it would be a solution, I'd be glad to pay Microsoft for it. But I don't have the money to become a full Microsoft gold or silver or what-is-it-for-partner.

What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

I had very similar issues with an HP 9300 workstation and found the only solution for that was to switch on detect PNP devices. I had exhausted most of the other techniques for getting the drivers in and then found a post mentioning the the Nforce 5 nics require 2 drivers. One for the machine to recgonise the nic and the other as the driver for the nic.

I was using MS WinPE created from a win2003 server.

It may be worth a try if you havent already