Windows 98 Shell and Skins

FoxHound

I run 98SE and I don't know why anyone would wanna slow it down with wanna-B XP skins.

All the skins and scroll bar tweaks just corrupt the cache in no time flat, next thing you know the fonts start distorting and getting bigger and then it's pooched.

Windows 98se was too good thats the whole problem.

It's just like the "fish carburetor"

Except they could'nt make 9x mysteriously disappear

The original blueprints for a device that could have revolutionized the motor car have been discovered in the secret compartment of a tool box. A carburetor that would allow a car to travel 200 miles on a gallon of fuel caused oil stocks to crash when it was announced by its Canadian inventor Charles Nelson Pogue in the 1930s.

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2003/..._in_england.htm

Edited by kartel

Kartel I agree these Programs that Mask the Task Bar Suck...I want someone(I wish it was me) to Hack the shell32.dll and change the explorer.exe Skin itself..Not Mask it..So I tried Winstep..and it SUCKED... :(

Kartel I agree these Programs that Mask the Task Bar Suck...I want someone(I wish it was me) to Hack the shell32.dll and change the explorer.exe Skin itself..Not Mask it..So I tried Winstep..and it SUCKED... :(

i believe someone already said it, windows 98 was based on colors, there isnt really a theme inside anything in it. the actual GUI is all based on colors. im not 100% sure on it, but its the only thing i can really think of. windows 98 came out before themes were really in use like the XP one because computers fast enough to handle it were very expensive back then.

your best bet (to retain system stability) is just to use the old GUI, ill admit, its boring, but very functional.

newer isnt always better. :whistle:

i know it sucks, but its kinda the price we have to pay to run the older stuff, not that its a bad thing, its just how it goes for us right now. thats all.

just rise above it and just be happy your computer is stable, because most likely you introduce a skin of some kind, you can say goodbye to that.

i believe someone already said it, windows 98 was based on colors, there isnt really a theme inside anything in it. the actual GUI is all based on colors. im not 100% sure on it, but its the only thing i can really think of. windows 98 came out before themes were really in use like the XP one because computers fast enough to handle it were very expensive back then.

your best bet (to retain system stability) is just to use the old GUI, ill admit, its boring, but very functional.

newer isnt always better. :whistle:

The Win9x series and Win2000 all base on the same GUI, which uses GDI calls to draw the elements such as buttons windows etc. (vector-based). The "themed" GUIs paint bitmaps instead, so there is much more flexibility in appearance but it's much less efficient - the bitmaps take up significantly more memory and are slower to redraw.

Hey people, the fact is 98se can be soooo much faster, no matter WHAT, the secret is a 80 IDE cable and a ATA 100-133 harddrive.

I can put a mode 1 Drive in here and it's slow as crap.

So I think it's a good gamble that the IDE is the biggest bottleneck Vs. ram and cpu.

Unless you going to 3D games then your pooched no matter what.

rant.gif

Ps...did I mention the CF-105 ?

http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avarrow.html

Edited by kartel

well, right now im running 98 on a measly little PII 233 with 64 mb of ram and a PII 366 with 383mb of ram and its running great on both computers, so im just going to stick to that. i use XP on the latter as well, and both OS's run fine imo. both very usable.

anyway, im going to listen to pearl jam for now. good night all. :)

XP theme's are ugly and slow, it's real shell looks like windows2k(both Nt5 probably the same shell). that's better.

But for a fast and pretty Win98 SHELL try BBlean

No desktop, maybe the is a desktop pluggin. but it has lots of workspaces.

Litestep comes with desktop, but is slower that bblean, but way faster than explorer

Edited by mamas6667

But you gotta admit it looks modern and cool...spekaing of which..have you seen the new Vista(Longhorn) screenshots..my goodness it is a very cool lookin' shell.Windows XP has a memeory consuming shell yes but windows XP is designed for newer faster PC's.I have a pretty good PC a able to run Windows XP,all i need is a better Video Card.

Personally, I need a computer that works. So, a bunch of unnecessary graphics slowing its performance, is something I can do without. Read how many users of Vista are complaining how much RAM this new operating system is devouring.

I think it’s safe to say, the guys tweaking Windows 98 are not doing because they cannot afford Windows XP. They’ve grown out of the eye candy that Windows XP offers, and just needs something basic that will work for their needs.

I'm thinking 98 is too "just plain"... it needs a few pep ups, by adding to its files features, litle cosmetic customizations.. like a software add on that allows the user to modify the border around file windows.. to make it look like a soft aura, or hard thick border outline...

For certain kinds of creative writing, I'd like a deep cyan desktop splash, with a soft pastel cyan file aura border, and a slight hint of red background in the text file...

For writing an angry response to an AH troll's post, I'd like a fire red composer background with deep purple splash...

Take it up to the Max, I'd like the text page to flow like I saw IR and UV blending and flowing in a four inch diameter aura around a tiny flower, after a weird "accident" left me seeing like the bees see, for a day...

98 needs the ability to close parts of the tool bars...

WinWall and SubDesktop give 98 a pleasant fix... It can change the desktop colors and pix to anything you desire...

I wish we could trust those animated wallpaper downloads, but everyone I've tried forced me format C to repair the serious damages they did to the OS...

Office assistant was fun for a week or two.. but after that I just wanted to pull einstein's head off, kick the dogy in the azz, and stomp on the dam cat, after pulling off its hundred tails...

I want an icon factory, that enables me to create my own icons and cursors... I want a cursor that I can backclick to detonate into a huge explosion...

I'd like to see a random file selector, that even digs into freespace... Click the icon, and you never know what yer gonna git...

I'd like to have the options to add a symbol between words, that links to an internal header of links, sounds, pix, and data... Would make writing wicked posts more fun and more depth...

The only thangs whatz stopping W98 from being modernized, is laziness, lack of money and greed for more, and lack of expertise...

Has anyone started an "Evolve Windows 98" forum?.. It's hard to just let W98 go.. It's the very backbone of the Personal Computer... It's what got the ball rolling.. and the newer OS's seem to be full of all sorts of unsolved troubles, and expense...

Many of us are still not ready for XP.. or maybe it's that XP isn't ready for us...

Could windows start music be like Angel's trumpets?..

Maybe some would prefer death marches..? and others would prefer "taps"... and maybe something along the lines of "bat out of hell".. or the sounds of machine gun chatter, or a tank rolling by, or a wicked fighter jet flyby.. or an audience applauding..? or the sounds of Woman's purest free laughter...

Thing is, if you want W98 fancied-up and evolved.. it happens by adding one little modification after another... The writers need to hear the ideas of what you want and expect... Fire up some of your super Creativity, and tell them what you need...

I'm bettin' the exploding cursor will be a download within two months.. written by a couple of the world's best computer wizard geniuses.. most likely college kids... There's a whole subculture that loves explosions more than you loves sex, drugs, and rock'n roll...

Edited by KingAuther

When I get into tinkering with the GUI I install my Object Desktop to 98SE and it works okay. But as others have mentioned it takes a toll on those limited resources. Usually I just needed to go back into the WindowBlinds control panel and reapply the skin when it started losing parts (the classic mode it's on top of appears like it's winning), but sometimes a reboot is needed to recover full resources.

Besides the Stardock way there are many choices of normal themes that can really enhance things without straining resources that much. You can get pretty close to an XP Luna look with or without WindowBlinds, but of course the combination of WindowBlinds, Object Bar, and Icon Packager really give you the whole thing.

The last old version or the enhanced newer version of Object Desktop stuff is really pretty bugless. It was all the beta versions that happened before the released versions came out that sometimes messed up Windows. I would usually turn off checking for beta versions and wait for releases to remain reletively bug free.

But even without that, if someone wants Windows to look prettier without using up a lot of resources there are plenty of harmless themes to download.