Windows 98 Shell and Skins

FoxHound

With all the Hype about the Booting of Windows 95/98/ME Support, many people are racing to make

Unofficial updates and Packs.But Why won't anyone care enough to update Windows Skins and Shell.

and NO REVOLUTIONS PACK IS BAD.It realy messed up my sytem.

Isn't there any way to make Windows 98 Look like Windows XP,you know that pretty blue taskbar and such

not Just Icon Changes? The Closest I got to making a Windows XP Looking Skin is Revolutions Pack but that made all my icons 256 color and when I tried to change Windows Theme It Crashed. :(

P.S. That Cosmic..Cosmetic Toolbox Thing Didn't Work On my Windows 98 SE,

That Extreme Xp ting Only Slowed My System to a Grinding Halt.I don't mean Look Alikes of Windows XP But the Exact Skin of the Windows XP OS system

Edited by FoxHound

REVOLUTIONS PACK 4 IS BAD, you're right.

REVOLUTIONS PACK LITE IS ONLY THING for such purpose for expirienced people. Next version will include powerful and reliable skin engine.

With all the Hype about the Booting of Windows 95/98/ME Support, many people are racing to make

Unofficial updates and Packs.But Why won't anyone care enough to update Windows Skins and Shell.

and NO REVOLUTIONS PACK IS BAD.It realy messed up my sytem.

Isn't there any way to make Windows 98 Look like Windows XP,you know that pretty blue taskbar and such

not Just Icon Changes? The Closest I got to making a Windows XP Looking Skin is Revolutions Pack but that made all my icons 256 color and when I tried to change Windows Theme It Crashed.

P.S. That Cosmic..Cosmetic Toolbox Thing Didn't Work On my Windows 98 SE,

That Extreme Xp ting Only Slowed My System to a Grinding Halt.I don't mean Look Alikes of Windows XP But the Exact Skin of the Windows XP OS system

Iwish for the same thing.

So i started resource hacking my own icons.I got as many as i can

changed to XP.

I figure like this

some people have a updated system some don't.

I think some of these packs might require updates that one may not

have on his/her computer

I think some one should just resource hack the shell32.dll and all the cpl/icons files

nothing more nothing less.

and maybe it would work on everybody computer.I sure we all have these default and basic files.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

The Closest I got to making a Windows XP Looking Skin is Revolutions Pack but that made all my icons 256 color and when I tried to change Windows Theme It Crashed. :(

Yeah this use to happen to me but then I figured it out. since your using the old Revolutions pack You MUST have your latest video card drivers installed and it MUST support 32-bit color. If you install 32-bit support without the proper video card drivers it will mess up your system- all your icons will be 16 or 256 color. that's what the hardware test button in the bottom corner is for. to make sure that your card supports it. But the better option is to download RP lite 5 with the new lame skin preview so You can have an xp like skin but it might not work as it's not final but keep watching as the project is going pretty fast.

Instead of trying to make 98 look like XP why dont you just go n buy XP. 98 is stoneage now and doesnt even have support from MS. Stop living in the past n update to a newer OS.

How DARE You Badmouth my OS...For your info I do Have an Xp but I don't like to use it because its a little too much for my Video Cards.If you don't ahve anything good to say or a solution to this topic then don't say anything again!!!! :realmad::realmad::realmad:

the major problem ( that i think anyway) is that win98 is just too old to be fully ported to look like XP. (not that im saying 98 is a bad os) it would need severe modding just to get it too look like XP. right now im running XP and 98 SE as a dual boot on my ancient laptop (dell inspiron 7000) and it runs fine under both operating systems. especially since im using the unofficial service pack and the 98 revolutions pack 4. i dont really like RPlite, it works good, but i prefer 98RP4.

anyway, i dont like when people say "just upgrade to XP". people have an os they like to use and they want to modify it to look newer, but prefer to have an older operating system, perhaps for compatibility with older hardware/software. or they just like the older ones, ever think of that? :} its personal preference.

anyway, regards.

I have tuned my Windows98se with every kind of modding tool.i have all the updates and unofficial SP's and some patches i found on google.After finishing I made it to be as close as to XP as possible.The Only ting left was to Make It Look modern.I Like my 98 Like it is but I'm tired of my pals laughing at my systems nasty look.(Too bad they don't know its faster than thier windows XP)heh... :)

1. i use Windows98 cause my ol' good computer doesnt support XP, and is *NOT* upgradeable hardware (cause its an ATX-Mini mobo)

2. windows 98 rocks, it runs at the same speed than my xp, but on a 10yo computer (no kidding)

3. if you dont like the w9x look, use WindowBlinds. Simple. (i have the Systemdo skin w/WindowBlinds, and it looks way better than my xp)

Where can I get Windows Blinds that Supports Windows 98 SE and does it Just mask the Original Shell or It actually Alters the shell to make a diffrent Skin.

Tell me the Link so I can get it...Thanx

www.windowblinds.net go to downloads, scroll down to the "For Registered Users of Enhanced version" section

FYI, that's a little messed up, i dont understand exactly if that means that latest enhanced version supports w98 or registered users get access to a w98 compatible version or what (they also menction something about a "WindowBlinds Classic"), so i recommend you to search for windowblinds 4 on a p2p program *cough*

PS. it just masks the original windows 98 shell, as far as i understand, theres *NO* way to replace the original shell, cause its based on just colors, not on images like the xp shell... unless someone make an explorer.exe from scratch of course *coughagain*

Edited by HTS-500

yeah the thing is softwares that Mask the shell uses a lot of Memory and I only have 385MB Ram so I'm running low as it is!!!

:(.I wish there was someone who could Hack teh shell .dll and make a totlay new system of Skin.I guess i can only dream :'(

you are waaaaaaaaaaay wrong

im running it on a 180mhz machine with 47mb of ram and no video card (just an adapter), adn it runs at about the same speed

and also, 385mb is a f*ckin' lot of ram, in this machine im running xp pro on 256mb ram with 1.7ghz processor

unless you use it for hard work such as programming or 3d rendering, but if thats the case, you should not have even modified 3d-bit icons, you need to have an installation as light as its possible

Edited by HTS-500

Many of the users here, including me, do not want any fancy graphical effects. The UI works fine as-is, it doesn't need any "skinning". I prefer the plain look anyway - it seems more professional.