NERO alternative

m16si

• 2 weeks later...

I tried nero 7 when it first came out and burnt a few coasters, this may have been a user flaw instead of the program. I have tried later ones and they run great but a bit bloated. Then came nero 7 lite which has all the best of nero 7 without the bloat. This is what I am using now and have no problems with it.

Does this "Lite" version allow you to add boot image? My experience tells me that lite versions are the ones included by the oem drive manufactureres & do not have provision for creating bootable cd/dvd.s

I am happy with Nero 6.6.x.x. Compilation files are very small but unfortunately it cannot deal with extra long file names or path. Magic ISO does not have this limitation but only creates ISOs & takes up a lot of HDD space.

Edited by pmshah

Cannot burn DVD+/-RW's without getting write verification errors; I'm freeking out-with 3G worth of data requiring backup I have had to resort to multiple CD-RW's because this is all I can burn to with Nero 6 or 7 error free. I emailed Nero support 1 week ago and have not received any reply yet. Further, I used both Sony and Verbatim DVD+RW's, some brand new/never used; Nero reports errors, I fully erase the DVD+RW, attempt to reburn and system logs now report disc has bad blocks-all tallied about 30 discs!!!!!! I'm basically stumped.

Edited by RickSteele

What you are facing is a hardware problem. You have different lasers to write Cds & DVDs. Even reading lasers are different. So you have 4 different operations taking place. Reading + writing CDs & Reading / writing DVDs. I have had difficulties with different combinations of errors.

The first thing you could try is cutting down on the writing speed. I have stopped using CDR & DVD-R long time ago. The RW versions are so cheap it saves me bundle. If I can reuse them 3 times & have recoverd my money.

The next thing I would suggest is use a good drive cleaner, not one of those chinese cheapos. Get a good Japanese one. Mkes hell of a lot of difference.

As a final remedy borrow a dvd writer from a friend. I can almost assure you that the error in not with any release of Nero 6.x.x.x.

What you are facing is a hardware problem. You have different lasers to write Cds & DVDs. Even reading lasers are different. So you have 4 different operations taking place. Reading + writing CDs & Reading / writing DVDs. I have had difficulties with different combinations of errors.

The first thing you could try is cutting down on the writing speed. I have stopped using CDR & DVD-R long time ago. The RW versions are so cheap it saves me bundle. If I can reuse them 3 times & have recoverd my money.

The next thing I would suggest is use a good drive cleaner, not one of those chinese cheapos. Get a good Japanese one. Mkes hell of a lot of difference.

As a final remedy borrow a dvd writer from a friend. I can almost assure you that the error in not with any release of Nero 6.x.x.x.

These 2 LG GSA H10N DVD-RW's are brand new as are the cables; before these I owned a Plextor 716 a and an LG GSA 4637, nero 6 and 7 reported the same errors on all 4 drives-consistantly. So, I was using an nlited winXP pro SP2, I have just completed a fresh install without any driver integration or nlite customizations and already the setup seems better. I will know by tomorrow when I attempt a DVD+RW burn and report back; may be the way nlite is integrating the nforce4x16 drivers-1.01 final.

Thanks for your reply-much appreciated.

Forgort to sk you. When you start a new copilation are yopu selecting Data-DVD & not DataCD ? It may sound like a stupid question but that is howero works If you try to burn a CD image to a DVD blank it throws up an error. Even a <700 mb DVD image will not burn correctly to a CD. No such problems with Magic ISO.

Forgort to sk you. When you start a new copilation are yopu selecting Data-DVD & not DataCD ? It may sound like a stupid question but that is howero works If you try to burn a CD image to a DVD blank it throws up an error. Even a <700 mb DVD image will not burn correctly to a CD. No such problems with Magic ISO.

Yes, all is correct this way.

Well, after several days since fresh unnlited install all seems to be fairly good; all attempts to burn DVD data backups and iso's have been successful. There have been two isolated instances where the system did not recognize either drive briefly; insert duisc and drives just hung-has not recurred before or since....so go figure.

All my troubles in burning with Nero 7 seem to stem from NeroCheck.exe. I disabled it and deleted it from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib and have had no drive recognition or write verification errors since. All DVD+RW burned have been fully readable on several computers.

Might also take a look at Preassi ONES, with a very simple GUI, & super small footprint

Link Please