$oem$ Folder permissions

While trying to backup my build folder I noticed a couple of errors that were down to permessions on the folder. After looking through the properties of the folder the "read only" box is ticked - but ticked 'grey' as though the permissions were being inherited. I took ownership of the folder, removed the inherited rights and added myself to the rights box, giving myself full control. I then unchecked the "read only" box and applied the permissions to all the folders beneath. The "read only" box is still checked when I look at the permissions again.

If I go to the I386 folder and remove the read only permissions they stay removed so I then went to each parent directory and removed the permissions there. The only ones it doesn't work for are $oem$, $$ and $1. Is there some kind of issue with folders beginning with a $?.

anyone come across this before?

Anyone else have this issue? Just to put me out of my misery can you have a look at your $oem$ folder and see if it's 'read only' and if so can you uncheck that box. If you can then I know it's some quirk on my PC.

Thanks,

Travelcard