installing vista on xp lap <256 MB RAM

rajni06

i want to install VISTA in my xp laptop.but i can't do that,because when i try to install vista it says your laptop have only 240 MB RAM only(16 MB fixed to DVMT),vista needs 256 MB RAM to install,setup now exits.In a describtion told that if you want to install below 256 MB RAMM you have to use WINDOWS PE(pre installation environment).my laptop is zenith 1.6 GHz,256 MB ddr2ram,40 gb with other wireless,media reader,wi-fi.when i asked the dealer told to upgrade to 512 mb ram.but i don't want to do this,Because after installing vista WE can use removable hard disk or usb pen drives as an RAM by vista.anyone can suggest something to resolve this one.

Edited by rajni06

You need at least 256 Mb ram that can be allocated for Vista and the PE, any less and it iwll not work, essence you need more ram, or turn of the dedicated ram

how can i turn off my dedicated RAM,i don't no,please help me,thank you

Honestly give up it just will not happen with your system specs...

Not to mention that you also need a dedicated graphics card to experience the aero effect. As Kelsenellenelvian said, I just don't see it happen on your system specs. Sorry mate...

Honestly give up it just will not happen with your system specs...

have to agree on that!

its runs kinda sluggish on my 2gb machine..

x2, I have 2gb as well and its still runs slow from what im used to

LOL

its runs kinda sluggish on my 2gb machine..

in your case its the beta-issue thingy...

but its true VISTA should have NEVER be given the 256mb requirement status. but very much 512 instead. ...

BTW 1 other thing,

This beta 2 is of the ultimate edition and for a laptop you should NEVER use ultimate bet BASIC or Profesional Basic instead, as Earo is probably not somthing you want on a 17 inc LCD monitor, and about nobody ever uses Media center on a laptop. - so why bother for the extra charge... - for a laptop i thing vista wil improve mainly in the security and stability isues

and thats what laptops are for anyway...

Edited by -I-

if he can find a way to get it working on 256mb of ram, then more power to him.

anyway, in my personal experience vista beta 2 ran horribly on my computer (AMD athlon XP 1800+, 640mb ram, ATi Radeon 9200 SE) so i doubt that a laptop with a lot less power will run it any good at all.

the best thing to do is just play around with vista, see if you can get it to work, and then when you get it installed, see how it runs and go from there. but i think your just going to go back to XP. its the best OS for a machine like that right now. maybe if Vista comes out in full and its the home edition or what not, then it might work quite well on your laptop, but i dont think beta 2 will.

anyway, guys, dont discourage him, he might find it works quite well (i doubt it, but you never know) and he likes it, so just let him play around and give positive advice you have. :)

anyway, regards, cygnus

DUH,

A: its bete zo now true optimzations

B: your running Extreme edition (beta are build of the huge-memory-edition).

for this full power version of vista you probably should have a premium designe pc

stuf like: 1gb ram (2gb recomended)

128mb vga card (256 recomanded)

I can honestly say it runs really well on my laptop. Specs in my sig. I've definately noticed its getting quick enough to possibly use as A main OS (not THE main OS just yet though!).