Replacement System Files & Windows File Protection

Great, then here is my question. Can we replace the sfc_os.dl_ in the i386 directory on the CD? Something tells me this won't fix the problem I'm thinking of.

What I want is to copy any hacked file I like into the i386 directory. Problem is the install gives an error saying the file is not a Windows XP image or something like that and you have to ESC to skip the error message.

I brought this up a while back and never found a solution, but you guys have made lots of progress since then. Maybe you have figured this one out.

Edit: Maybe this thread will help me accomplish the same thing. http://www.MSFN.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=70&t=7987

well you could email them to me or I do believe your could ftp them into ftp.webmedic.net If I rememeber right there should be an incoming folder there. You could also send them through dcc if you know how to use irc.

I just noticed somebody was leaching from my ftp server so let me know if you want you get done using ftp if you use it so I can chmod the ftp back so others cant upload to it.

Right now you can uplaod to incoming as anonymous.

Thanks webmedic....I run a batch file using GUI Run Once, which installs all of my system files....I don't disable the Windows File Protection....I run the batch file, and then reboot after a 10 second timer...it works great.

The only problem I've had is getting the auto-logon to work so that all of this stuff is installed for the correct user (you see no matter what user you are, but you know what I mean)...

I've been following the other thread on Auto-Login and think I've got it working now....

Anyway, it might be of help to you or anyone else if I post my sysfiles.cmd ..... (my name for my system files replacement batch file)...and a link to the SnowE icon replacement files I did up (thanks to webmedic for hosting these :) )

You can find it HERE

• 3 weeks later...

One thing you can try to do to avoid the windows file protection stuff is to create a $$ folder in the $OEM$ folder. Inside the $$ folder create SYSTEM32 and SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE ... place the files you are copying over in your scripts into those 2 directories, and windows will "install" those files for you during the file copy process.