[RELEASE] Windows 9x Power Pack v4.1 RELEASED!

@ jimmsta:

When you finish beta release (english), please send me, so I localize to put all italian stuff and I test it on more pc (I hope).

After, I send you, ready to publish.

@ jimmsta:

When you finish beta release (english), please send me, so I localize to put all italian stuff and I test it on more pc (I hope).

After, I send you, ready to publish.

Will do.

@MDGx:

Thanks for the sticky!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a pre-alpha of version 5, which I packaged for distribution, and forgot about until today: http://www.win9xpp.org/library/v5/w9xpp_prealpha.zip

I will be developing off of this pre-alpha. If you'd like to get an idea of the functionality that this scripting package offers, take a look at my BHT project (see my signature for the link).

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads-up: version 5 should be in beta by Tommorow! This means that I'll be releasing a public release.

Currently, the package is approximately 220MB in size. I'll be trying to get it down a bit lower, but I'm doubtful.

Luckily, I will easily be able to make 98/SE and ME versions separately. It's designed in such a way that allows for it to be fully customized. The reason why it's taken nearly a year to build verison 5.0, is because I re-designed the entire package and its distribution system. See the "pre-alpha" above if you're interested in the base skeleton of this compilation.

At the moment, I'm uploading all the files for the package to my webserver. I'll then test the version that I've been working on all afternoon/night, and release a version out onto the web, just to see if it's what I hope everyone is looking for. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Beta 1: http://www.win9xpp.org/library/w9xppv5_beta1.tar.gz [just over 1MB, gzipped]

I'll be working on this quite a bit more. For now, this will build a complete package (albeit, somewhat out of date), and will be updated as progress is made. I appologize for the tar.gz, but I haven't figured out how to 7z or zip packages in Ubuntu as of yet. Tar.gz just comes naturally with the default config.

Just a heads up: Version 5 will be released into the public domain, as-is. I'm no longer going to continue helping with the win9x community, as I really don't have enough spare time, and no longer want to develop the Power Pack. I'll perhaps release an update every-so-often, but this is it.

The final version will be available as a Base release (like the available beta), which can be modified per-language, as needed. I encourage users from different countries to help build a multi-lingual set of releases. I'm taking care of the English edition. I'm sure that there's enough of a user-base here that will be able to handle the task after I'm gone.

Now, for an idea about release dates: I'm really just waiting on Xeno86's new release of KUP. If it's out sometime this weekend, expect to see Win9x PP v5 out this weekend. If not, I'm setting a deadline of Next Saturday (May 11, 2007). There's a lot of things that need to be polished before I head out of the picture. Luckily, most of the stuff in the build script is already documented. I'll provide some sort of documentation, in English, for those that want to provide non-English releases.

edit: I've been registered on MSFN for 2 years now 0_o

Edited by jimmsta

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

Windows 98 Still RULE!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup I have installed the updates from Jimmsta and now the site: www.win9xpp.org

Its really cool. I've loaded the "NEW WIN98" on dozens of machines! Why do you need WINXP or even VISTA?????????? Why pay so much for it? Come on most apps runs on Win98! Office, anti-virus, etc. There are lots of cool free office apps (and more) for WIN98!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need XP or VISTA just because it looks great! The new Revolutions Pack 6 makes it look and feel cool. You wont even say its WIN98!!! ;)

Jimmsta! You rock Dude!!!!!!!!!! I still load Win98 on lots of PC's even in 2007!!!!

I look in every week on the www.win9xpp.org site for new updates and apps. I cant wait!

Oh yes I almost forgot. There is a update CD version of WIN98. A project called JACKHAMMER. I love it!! Just download the ISO and burn it on CD. Then load is form DOS!!!!! All apps already installed. Cool hey? I just miss the XP start bar. Revolutions Pack 6 dont install. Anyway Thanks guys for putting all your time into great updates for WIN98, and so that we can download it for free.

Just leave some posted here if anyone have problems with it. I went tru it all so can help you with common problems or HOW TO INSTALL and etc.

Thanks again!!!!!

:thumbup

• 1 month later...

I'll be finishing this project THIS WEEK. I'm no longer finding time to work on extra projects outside of work anymore. I've started playing computer games again, after a long time of working. I feel it's time to finish this, and move on.

Now that KernelEx and the Revolutions pack have been updated, I feel it's a good stopping point fro the project. Luckily, all the source files will be able to be updated for years on end. I'll happily host files for future updates of the project, even if I'm not the head of development.

Here's beta 3: http://www.win9xpp.org/library/w9xpp_beta3.zip

I have not built a clean source folder myself, but I'm guessing that the full download clocks in at around 220-230MB in size. The zip file here is just the files to Build the source folder.

To use: Double click the W9xBuild.bat file, and press 1. Wait a while, and it'll finish eventually. This edition was built on a Win98 SE Virtual Machine, so it should work perfectly. If you have any weird issues, post them in this thread.

Screenshot of the build script running on Vista:

post-54728-1182148211_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimmsta

Hi,

I tried this out this morning

from a mature w98se computer.

This works fine with 2 exceptions.

The mdcu240e.zip is 404,

and the scripts attempt to

RMDIR the dx9c directory after it's filled.

This is a great idea.

Keep it up !

--

Steve

Hi,

I tried this out this morning

from a mature w98se computer.

This works fine with 2 exceptions.

The mdcu240e.zip is 404,

and the scripts attempt to

RMDIR the dx9c directory after it's filled.

This is a great idea.

Keep it up !

--

Steve

Thanks for the bug report - all these bugs haven been fixed. I'm working on getting this released sometime either tonight, or tomorrow night. It has been a long road to follow, but I think I've finally accomplished something greater than previous releases (as well as something that's smaller than all previous releases - clocking in at just under 190MB uncompressed!)

Thanks for the PP 5.0 update:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=100090

It is now listed here, on the "stickified" list:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=95815

I am going to "un-stickify" this old one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=78666

Please keep the new thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=100090

for all future PP updates, because it is already on the "sticky" list.

Keep up the good work. :thumbup

HTH