[RELEASE] Windows 9x Power Pack v4.1 RELEASED!

Why you don't have an automated instalation of all these updates?

Your power pack is like an autostart menu of any CD jimmsta!!!

It's not intended as an automated installer. There's no way to test for all bugs, and I don't want to be held responsible for people losing their data due to an automated installer. All this is, is a PACK of installers, and tools, nothing more. It's a single package of most patches for win98 FE/SE/Me. I've toyed with the automated installer idea, and had created an early version of it, but never finished it. (Using INFex). I really don't like the idea of an automated installer, since most of the time, you have to reboot in between patches (all of the time, actually). It would not make sense to do so.

jimmsta:

You may wish to upload the PowerPack somewhere else, like Major Geeks and/or Softpedia, because your download link doesn't work:

http://repository.jimmsta.com/w9xpp/index....nloads&id=2

Nor does your main page:

http://www.jimmsta.com/

Probably too high traffic?

FYI:

I've added a link to this forum here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#98SE

and at my front page [under "Windows 98/98 SE/ME Updates + Patches"]:

http://www.mdgx.com/

I would like to change the MSFN link to your home page for the PowerPack [i presume you have 1], because MSFN now requires subscription even to read posts.

But because your site is down, I'll have to wait till it'll be back up again, hopefully soon.

Edited by MDGx

It's working fine on my end. I've had issues with the hosting company in the past. (Dreamhost.com)... They promise 1TB of transfer a month, but so far, I've had problems with them allowing me to go over 120GB a month. (I have not hit that limit yet). This subdomain is throttled at 850GB of traffic, which has not occurred yet. There shouldn't be any problems...

I'll look into it.

i wish i had a burner in my laptop, then i wouldn't have to go upstairs to burn this to a cd lol ;) i dont like my room during the summer, gets way too hot. right now its above 80'F, down here, its a cool 70'F :D

im glad my dad is an HVAC mechanic :lol:

I think I'll be creating a module-based approach for the next version. I'll be utilizing NSIS and my current webserver... this way, you can add what you want, as you need it. Should reduce download size considerably.

I'm also looking into dedicated hosting, as my host isn't very reliable.

edit: I just realized that I have an annual bill to pay them in the next 5 days. Either I renew for a year, or go elsewhere... I've got to get this sorted ASAP.

Once I have everything sorted, expect to see a small patch, possibly using the module/component idea proposed above.

Edited by jimmsta

:w00t:

I was wondering who added the pack... Thanks a lot - Majorgeeks never responded. I've had problems in the past getting in touch with them, so it's not surprising that I haven't gotten anything from them.

Again, Thanks :thumbup

MajorGeeks ended up finding the download on SoftPedia (it seems), and uploaded it. It was featured on their site yesterday. At this point in time, W9xPPv4 has been downloaded over 1500 times.

Just a heads-up: An update is on the way. If anyone wants me to re-release the full package, I will (Already done, awaiting need to deploy it).

I'll release the update tommorow afternoon/evening. It is done. It is a 70MB 7Zip SFX archive, which should be extracted into your W9xPP Directory.

A Full Re-Release will be 210MB. It is all ready to be uploaded...

I'll attempt to make it possible for future releases to be dynamically updated through something NSIS-based or something.

Edited by jimmsta