RPC Flaw being Exploited

rik

As you all probably know by now the NET has been inundated with buffer overflow atacks since about noon CST...Sorry I don't have a screen shot of the message for ya but the verbiage of the message is: "The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM." Below that is a timer that counts down to reboot and below that "Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly."

This is due to the exploit that everyone has been alerting us too and telling us to run our Windows Updates.

If this does happen to you, enable or run and firewall SW you have and block "MSBLAST" from accessing the NET. Then run your Windows updates...

for you guys thats getting the 60 second error run through those steps...

1 startup your computer

2 wait for the 60 second shutdown message

3 goto RUN in the start menu & type in "shutdown.exe -a" (minus the quotes)

that will stop the shutdown of your computer & can give you time to grab the update patch

remember to run a virusscanner to delete all the bullsh*t out ur system

hope this helps :)

What ports is using this attack ? Is there a place where i can check about it ? [heads to symantec security]

I think our firewall is locked well enough though.

EDIT : I checked about it on Symantec website, and took extra preventive measures, though the servers were already patched and firewall in place.

Thanks for the info.

Guest shivamparikh

just wanted to let you know that this RPC error has hit India too. I live in a part of india thats got a tremedous shock for win 2000 and xp DIAL UP users...dont know about cable though. My cousing in UK (Cambridge) is having the same problem. Thanks AaronXP !!! with ur help and patch updates, i got me and my friends...lots of friends...computers working...and got my cuzin bro and his friends's computers all working too.

Keep the news of the microsoft patch on the front page first item for a few days till the worm dies off!

Shivam Parikh