Enable48BitLBA | Break the 137Gb barrier!

By the way, does anyone know whether LLXX is active elswhere on the internet?

Not knowing why she was banned, I can only assume that she herself was mightily peeved by the whole thing. Otherwise, I can't see that it would've been too hard for her to return in a different guise. Indeed, perhaps she did. ;)

Slightly off-topic, so apologies.

I can acess SATA drives without installing any drivers in Win 98 SE. That might be because Im using the compatibility mode in BIOS. (1x PATA + 1x SATA only)

If anyone is happy to use Compatibility Mode disk access, surely the whole question of Enable48bitLBA is a waste of reading? When I installed Win98SE in a partition starting above the 137GB barrier, I could only get it to boot if I tweaked it to work in compatibility mode. But oh that sucked! It was like going back to 8bit machines lol In compatibility mode, you can access whatever your BIOS can access, can't you? Slowly, but surely anyway!

Oh and P.S.

The "RAM Limitation Patch" was split
Thanks MDGx ;) Edited by briton

I noticed something strange...when I switch to the fresh install of Win98 SE (only drivers installed), the copying is without problem, but it is kinda slow...I calculated 2MB/s. :blink: The copying on a SATA drive in the other install of Win98 is fast as usual...30MB/s. (but it makes problems as I described above)

I noticed something strange...when I switch to the fresh install of Win98 SE (only drivers installed), the copying is without problem, but it is kinda slow...I calculated 2MB/s. :blink: The copying on a SATA drive in the other install of Win98 is fast as usual...30MB/s. (but it makes problems as I described above)

Are you talking about on compatibility mode?

Both systems are used in compatibility mode. Because Windows 98 can use only 4 ATA devices, the CM disables one ATA channel and uses the SATA channel instead. ;)

Surely that would account for the slowdown? Compatibility mode is slow as cold molasses!

No, at least in my old instance of Win98 it isnt, I just tried to copy a big file and measured the speed (via Totalcopy).

SATA partition #1 => partition #2

10MB/s

ATA => SATA

20MB/s

SATA => ATA

25MB/s

:thumbup

I wonder if the Intel Application Accelerator is not relevant to your system rather than LLXX's but I am not sure of that at all.

Look here. :( I have a 865PE chipset.

The Intel® Application Accelerator supports the following Intel® chipsets:

* Intel® 810 Chipset

* Intel® 810E Chipset

* Intel® 810E2 Chipset

* Intel® 810L Chipset

* Intel® 815 Chipset

* Intel® 815E Chipset

* Intel® 815EP Chipset

* Intel® 815G Chipset

* Intel® 815EG Chipset

* Intel® 815P Chipset

* Intel® 820 Chipset

* Intel® 820E Chipset

* Intel® 840 Chipset

* Intel® 845 Chipset

* Intel® 845E Chipset

* Intel® 845G Chipset

* Intel® 845GE Chipset

* Intel® 845GL Chipset

* Intel® 845GV Chipset

* Intel® 845PE Chipset

* Intel® 850 Chipset

* Intel® 850E Chipset

* Intel® 860 Chipset

Note: The Intel Application Accelerator is not compatible with the Intel® 875P, 865G/P/PE, 852/855 GM/GME, 855MP, 848P, 815EM chipset, the Intel® 440 chipset family, or any earlier Intel chipsets. The Intel Application Accelerator is also not compatible with any Intel® 900 series Express Chipset families.

Sorry czech lang...

Zkoušel jsi Chipset z Windows98.ic.cz ? Intel chipset INF update 6.3.0.1007 pro novější chipsety 8xx, a neoficiální update od Petra pro 9xx. Úspěšně jsem odzkoušel na i945.

@ Philco : Díky, pomohlo to aspoň tak, že se už neukazuje modrá obrazovka. Ovšem procesor je teďka vytíženej na 100%, což předtim určitě nebyl. (myslim) Při poslouchání muziky se muzika pořád zasekává... Když to v Totalcopy omezim na 5000KB/s (nejvyšší možná hodnota), tak procesor sem tam klesne k 90%, ale pořád to není to pravé ořechové.

@ all : Philco advised me to install some new Intel INF drivers from his site. It helped a bit, I dont get BSOD now, but during the copying, the CPU is being used on 100%, which wasnt the case before. (I think) The music I listen to during the copying skips a lot. If I limit the speed in Totalcopy to 5000KB/s (highest possible value), the CPU usage drops sometimes to 90%, but still, it isnt the best solution.

@ Philco : Díky, pomohlo to aspoň tak, že se už neukazuje modrá obrazovka. Ovšem procesor je teďka vytíženej na 100%, což předtim určitě nebyl. (myslim) Při poslouchání muziky se muzika pořád zasekává... Když to v Totalcopy omezim na 5000KB/s (nejvyšší možná hodnota), tak procesor sem tam klesne k 90%, ale pořád to není to pravé ořechové.

@ all : Philco advised me to install some new Intel INF drivers from his site. It helped a bit, I dont get BSOD now, but during the copying, the CPU is being used on 100%, which wasnt the case before. (I think) The music I listen to during the copying skips a lot. If I limit the speed in Totalcopy to 5000KB/s (highest possible value), the CPU usage drops sometimes to 90%, but still, it isnt the best solution.

Appears to be in PIO mode! :(

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

:thumbup HOORAY PROBLEM SOLVED !!! :thumbup

Do you know, where the problem was? Call me an id***, but in the fresh install of Win98, the DMA mode was not enabled... :rolleyes: My original install of Win98 is maybe (definitely :whistle: ) corrupted, so thats why there was that BSOD issue... As a proof, take a look on the screenshot I made a few minutes ago...

post-159644-1195923210_thumb.jpg

The average copy speed I calculated is 20.854 MB/s (SATA => SATA) B)

Many thanks to all of YOU !!!

Hi!

I found this thread (and this forum) while searching for a solution to the problem I'm having, and hoping you can help:

I recently replaced my system's hard drive after the old one crashed. The new drive is a Seagate PATA 320 GB, and my system was self-built in March, 2002, CPU: AMD Duron, Award BIOS 6.0, Chipset: VIA KT133A. I installed the drive and tried to configure it as my system was before: Dual-booting Windows 98 SE and Windows XP Pro. The 98 partition is 10 GB and the rest of the drive is divided into 50 GB NTFS volumes.

Everything is fine under XP, but the system has been randomly freezing in Windows 98, usually during writes to the

drive, e.g. while copying to the 98 partition from CD or installing drivers. And now, after installing the sound drivers,

Win98 won't finish booting at all -- As soon as the Desktop appears, one of those "snare drum" dialogs appears with

the message "Please wait while updating system settings..." but the system always hangs before this completes -- Total screen freeze and the hard drive light remains steadily on -- Only pressing the Reset button recovers from this.

I have scanned the disk and it's error-free, and as I say, there are no issues with the drive under XP -- I can even read/write to the 98 partition under XP without problems.

Based on the info I've garnered from various sources, I thought everything would be okay as long as the 98 partition was well under the 137 GB limit, even if the BIOS didn't support 48-bit LBA. (As I say, the BIOS is dated from early 2002, which was kind of in the transitional period.) But these system hangs suggest that the BIOS is not liking the large HDD under Win98, and I'm assuming there's no issues under XP because NT-based OSes use HAL rather than the BIOS. But then, why was I able to install Win98 at all?

Anyway, I suppose I could continue to just use XP and regard the 10 GB 98 partition as useless (except for holding the XP bootstrap) until I can afford to build myself an up-to-date system. But there are a couple of legacy apps I use that only run on 98 that I'd like to have access to, so any help/advice anyone here can offer I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Dave