Enable48BitLBA | Break the 137Gb barrier!

LLXX:

It's been a few months since your original postings of your fix ... I've read thru the postings here, but I'm sure you've also had other direct feedback. What has been the over-all sucess? Do you feel confident now that these patches completely solve the 137GB limitation? And do you have any reservations at this time based on comments submitted to you?

There are certain chipsets it doesn't seem to work properly on, but then again it might just be because the original chipset hardware was not 48-bit LBA capable, and there's nothing I can do about that.

Other than that I can't really give an estimate of success, since I think most of the users just download the files and it works for them, but they don't bother to post. The ones which it doesn't work on are more likely to post...

I've been using it with no problems.

Edited by LLXX

There are certain chipsets it doesn't seem to work properly on, but then again it might just be because the original chipset hardware was not 48-bit LBA capable, and there's nothing I can do about that.

Do you really think that there is something like "48-bit LBA capable chipset"?

Petr

Petr

Most of them implement passthrough, so reads/writes are passed directly through the IDE bus and to the device, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them do something with the requests besides directly giving them to the devices.

well if the mobo has a 48bit LBA enabled BIOS [like the refurbished DFI CM33-TL mobo I have], then 137gb HDs or bigger should work ok

OR

get a 48bit LBA enabled IDE controller card as mentioned here.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...

Petr

Most of them implement passthrough, so reads/writes are passed directly through the IDE bus and to the device, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them do something with the requests besides directly giving them to the devices.

hello

i have installed the 48lba esdr.pdr to windows me

and tested it on a seagate 160 mb hard drive and also on a 200gb maxtor hard drive....

it seems to be fine...

yes,yes i did fill the drives to the brim by

coping/pasting files using 2,4,8,16,32 method...i.e doubling a file then pasting it again and again...

next week i will try with a 250 gb samsung drive.....

once again thanks for your hard work for these patches

which i have burned to dvd and copied for safe keeping.....

the next thing is to fix the memory problem in winme.....so that we dont need to keep rebooting after running lots of programs.....

also another thing is to zip or winrar files within the windows directory...

eg

fonts

cursers

themes

games,

etc,

this makes windows faster

by reducing the number of files in the windows directory....

i compress them and make them into self extracting exe files

using winrar or winzip....

then delete the originals....

if i need anything i just double click the exe file.....

i suggest you do the same....or try it yourself....

LLXX:

It's been a few months since your original postings of your fix ... I've read thru the postings here, but I'm sure you've also had other direct feedback. What has been the over-all sucess? Do you feel confident now that these patches completely solve the 137GB limitation? And do you have any reservations at this time based on comments submitted to you?

QUOTE(LLXX @ Nov 26 2006, 06:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Petr @ Nov 26 2006, 05:15 AM) *

QUOTE(LLXX @ Nov 26 2006, 12:25 AM) *

Petr

hello

i have installed the 48lba esdr.pdr to windows me

and tested it on a seagate 160 mb hard drive and also on a 200gb maxtor hard drive....

it seems to be fine...

yes,yes i did fill the drives to the brim by

coping/pasting files using 2,4,8,16,32 method...i.e doubling a file then pasting it again and again...

next week i will try with a 250 gb samsung drive.....

once again thanks for your hard work for these patches

which i have burned to dvd and copied for safe keeping.....

the next thing is to fix the memory problem in winme.....so that we dont need to keep rebooting after running lots of programs.....

also another thing is to zip or winrar files within the windows directory...

eg

fonts

cursers

themes

games,

etc,

this makes windows faster

by reducing the number of files in the windows directory....

i compress them and make them into self extracting exe files

using winrar or winzip....

then delete the originals....

if i need anything i just double click the exe file.....

i suggest you do the same....or try it yourself..

Hi all

I only just came across this site today, after having purchased a Seagate 250GB harddrive, which, obviously, wasn't going to play nicely under my Version of Win98se.

I installed the patch in short order, and I must say LLXX, it is really bloody brilliant :)

I haven't had the chance to test much (Nor will I probably, to be truthful), though I am currently dumping a large portion of data onto the created partitions (The drive is replacing one of my 120's, I haven't gotten around to buying an IDE card :P)

I haven't suffered any apparent data corruption, performance appears to be fine, Partition Magic worked like a charm (As opposed to giving me Error#49 - Write Error each time).

I had been deeply afraid that I was going to have to bite the bullet and migrate to XP, but now, I can hold onto the past for a bit longer. This current install is going on 4 years old, and it's faced multiple virus', a couple of drive crashes, a plethora of software being installed and uninstalled, and she's still going strong.

Thanks for having produced such a great little patch. It's really made my night :)

Hi all

I only just came across this site today, after having purchased a Seagate 250GB harddrive, which, obviously, wasn't going to play nicely under my Version of Win98se.

I installed the patch in short order, and I must say LLXX, it is really bloody brilliant :)

I haven't had the chance to test much (Nor will I probably, to be truthful), though I am currently dumping a large portion of data onto the created partitions (The drive is replacing one of my 120's, I haven't gotten around to buying an IDE card :P)

I haven't suffered any apparent data corruption, performance appears to be fine, Partition Magic worked like a charm (As opposed to giving me Error#49 - Write Error each time).

I had been deeply afraid that I was going to have to bite the bullet and migrate to XP, but now, I can hold onto the past for a bit longer. This current install is going on 4 years old, and it's faced multiple virus', a couple of drive crashes, a plethora of software being installed and uninstalled, and she's still going strong.

Thanks for having produced such a great little patch. It's really made my night :)

HELLO

i use windows me and i have installed the patch and tested it....

it works fine...

i suggest u test it by copy/pasting large data flies...using 1 2 4 8 16 32 method

i.e u double the data and copy/paste it ad repeat...

then check the files

by playing them if its dvd vob files...etc....

BUT U MUST REPORT BACK...

i too am very grateful to LLEX doing this......

i am amazed microsoft never wrote the upgrade patch...i guess they just want your money for the dreadful xp....

Edited by esecallum

• 3 weeks later...

I am lost...

Months ago i installed esdi_506.pdr and a single 300 GB HDD on my old Pentium system running Win 98 SE. Yesterday i bought another 300 GB HDD. (hd300ld)

This fokin HDD won't work. I used various tools from this thread. I can't remember how i installed the first HDD. I used Partition Magic 6 to see the size of my drives. First HDD is 286, second HDD is 131. I used FDISK any many other tools.

I remember, perhaps i used Win XP with my first HDD.

Any suggestions for win98se?

Edited by nomatrix

I got two machines:

(1) Intel Pentium 233 MMX running Win 98 SE with PhoenixBios 4.06

(2) AMD Duron 1200 running Win 98 SE with AMIBIOS 1.24g

Left image was made on (1). Bios setting for HDD is set to "auto" and "enable 32 bit translation".

Right image was made on (2). Bios setting for HDD is set to "auto".

I wasn't able to create partition on (1) which is larger than 131077 MB.

I was able to created partition on (2) and use it on (1) with more than 131077 MB.

post-111281-1167883042_thumb.jpg

post-111281-1167883093_thumb.jpg

Edited by nomatrix

What FDISK are you using?

I used Free FDISK in DOS-Box under Win 98 SE on (2) to create extended partition with single drive.

Even if (1) wasn't able to create such partition, Win 98 SE on (1) is able to use this HDD and also shows correct size as on (2). It's also possible to format such big HDD on (1) under Win 98 SE.

Left image shows results after formatting it on (1).

Right image shows results after formatting it on (2).

post-111281-1167989382_thumb.gif

post-111281-1167989388_thumb.gif

Edited by nomatrix