Enable48BitLBA | Break the 137Gb barrier!

since when does the 98se fdisk have an 8gig size limit?

IMHO there is no limit on Win 98 SE FDISK. I used Win 98 SE FDISK on my 300 GB HDD. I simply created 100% extended partition with a single drive of 100%. Everything without any problems.

Edited by nomatrix

With the patched version there seems to be no data mutilation (so far) but the second partition shows up twice in the explorer. The first instance E: (which is the drive letter I'd expect) appears to be unformatted. The second instance gets G: (in between the SCSI cdrom drive F: and the IDE dvd-burner H:). That one is formatted correctly and shows the proper drive label.

I can format E: without breaking data on G:. Writing data to both E and G will mess things up of course.

Has anyone ever seen this effect before? Better still, is there a known solution?

IMHO, it's got nothing to do with the patch but everything with the formatting(s) you did and yes I did see this once or twice on my machine long time before I used the LLXX patch.

You should backup your data if any, erase your drive and recreate your partitions with a trusted tool IMO.

This should get you straight normally.

Edited by eidenk

Win98SE

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB IDE

nForce2 Ultra 400 / nFORCE2 MCP chipset

Soltek 75FRN2 mobo

Made a 2nd partition with Maxblast4.

Everything seems to work fine with the install package which included the ME scandisk and defrag. Tried both with no problems, so I guess they were modified by MS to circumvent the limit in the 98SE ones.

Anyway thanks, it's nice being able to use up the full capacity of my 200 gigger now :thumbup

post-111760-1159639683_thumb.png

Win98SE

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB IDE

nForce2 Ultra 400 / nFORCE2 MCP chipset

Soltek 75FRN2 mobo

Made a 2nd partition with Maxblast4.

Everything seems to work fine with the install package which included the ME scandisk and defrag. Tried both with no problems, so I guess they were modified by MS to circumvent the limit in the 98SE ones.

Anyway thanks, it's nice being able to use up the full capacity of my 200 gigger now :thumbup

Now you must fill the second partition with data and see if it screws the first one because what you show here can be done without a patched esdi_506.pdr I think. Only then can you actually applause.

Edited by eidenk

Windows Me Scandisk and Defrag can work with PARTITIONS bigger than 128GiB, Windows 98 / SE Scandisk and Defrag can work with PARTITIONS smaller than 128GiB only. So for your setup it is not necessary to use Me versions - and if you don't have Windows Me license you should not use them.

Where you got ESDI_506.pdr 4.10.2230? Both in the first post of this thread and on MDGx site are versions 4.10.2225 and 4.10.2226 only.

Petr

Edited by Petr

Windows Me Scandisk and Defrag can work with PARTITIONS bigger than 128GiB, Windows 98 / SE Scandisk and Defrag can work with PARTITIONS smaller than 128GiB only. So for your setup it is not necessary to use Me versions - and if you don't have Windows Me license you should not use them.

Where you got ESDI_506.pdr 4.10.2230? Both in the first post of this thread and on MDGx site are versions 4.10.2225 and 4.10.2226 only.

Petr

Why's that Petr? I don't know about him but I've been using them in 98se for at least 5 yrs now, they're freely available all over the web & superior to the 98se ones

Why's that Petr? I don't know about him but I've been using them in 98se for at least 5 yrs now, they're freely available all over the web & superior to the 98se ones

Have you found the download on the Microsoft website?

You can find the download even of the full Windows 98 or Millennium on the web but it does not mean that it is legal to use it. Yes, you can accept the risk and rely on the fact that Microsoft will not take care about 6 years old operating system. But you should be aware of that.

Petr

Windows Me Scandisk and Defrag can work with PARTITIONS bigger than 128GiB, Windows 98 / SE Scandisk and Defrag can work with PARTITIONS smaller than 128GiB only.

I stand corrected then. Just tried the win98 version of scandisk and it seems to work. Hmm, interesting.

So for your setup it is not necessary to use Me versions -
Not entirely true. It gives me the freedom to resize my partitions to whatever I want now. The sizes I posted are not necessarily the sizes I plan on keeping. That was just for demonstration purposes after I quickly added the 2nd partition.

What I'd like to do is make the Windows one much smaller than it currently is now (common practice), and thus I do need the ME versions of those apps.

and if you don't have Windows Me license you should not use them.

With all due respect, not your concern.

It's included in maximus-decim's install package posted on this page...

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...78592&st=60

Regards.

Edited by bacon_boy

Is this sufficient? :)

I filled, rebooted Windows, and then scandisked each partition with no errors of any kind.

C: is not filled enough

-_-

And regarding licenses etc. M$ has completely dropped support for 9x/ME and not even making any profits from it so there is no harm done at all from downloading 9x/ME.

Edited by LLXX

Is this sufficient? :)

I filled, rebooted Windows, and then scandisked each partition with no errors of any kind.

C: is not filled enough

-_-

And regarding licenses etc. M$ has completely dropped support for 9x/ME and not even making any profits from it so there is no harm done at all from downloading 9x/ME.

Microsoft should have made both Windows 98SE and Windows ME free upgrades to Windows 98 I think, like you have SP1 and SP2 as free upgrades to Windows XP.

I think we can distribute these Windows ME files now to work around some Windows 98 problems, as far as we don't ditribute complete Windows iso's