Useful tool

nethex

Have somebody used good tools for searching files by their mask? Point is that when needed to do full backup of my MS Word documents, it took too long to find all necessary *.doc files located everywhere on HD and I’ve downloaded several programs, tested them and choose the very easy-to-handle program. It has a good combination of search functions and convenience. With that program my documents backup process speed significantly increased. I've downloaded this program at http://www.vistaglance.com. The most wonderful thing about this program is that it is absolutely free!

Edited by nethex

huh7mg.th.jpg

:blink:

Yes ;-) But your action took more time than my with VG. For example - to open and wait for complete load of search window itself, to specify location for search and more effective search engine with presentation of most appropriate results based on different parameters. As I said - on my HD were a dozens of files, and VG offers a more comfortable processing of search results.

From that day, when I downloaded VG, Archivarius, Instant Documents Search and some others smiliar programs, think VG is best of all.

Edited by nethex

jaclaz, but this is command line utility :huh:

I've downloaded and tried Vista Glance - nice program... It resides at windows taskbar and in explorer toolbar, in addition may be used floating bar which accesible through hotkey. And main thing - different search params plus very fast results.

jaclaz, but this is command line utility

Yep, but is faster than anything I know.

I suggested it because if the intended use is to backup all *.doc files, it should be a routine operation, and as such a batch script, and consequently a command line app can be useful.

Some GUI ones:

A very old, but very fast one is still Waldo:

http://www.sfu.ca/~tmott/

(that has some "limitations" that actually can be turned into "features")

Another one is the "demonstration program" actually a free working app from Witzend:

http://www.witzendsoft.com/SrchLib.htm

Vistaglance is VERY nice, but it is more like the Mac Finder, it is a completely different approach/interface to the system, as they declare on their page:

A new face of computer interface.

Throw away Explorer. VistaGlance is better!

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK this is good... But let me focuse your attention on the main idea of keywords - make effective search of files without taking into account their names.

For example: you want to find some photos with "party" at "Club Glow" when special guest was "DJ Ferry Corsten", with some of your friends "Alex, Kate, Eugene". I think this is not a best choice to name the file like "Party at Club Glow guest DJ Ferry Corsten, with Alex, Kate, Eugene_134.jpg" and so... You just need to apply a matching tags and then just search by these tags. Nice, isn't?

Edited by nethex

Yes, keywords based search system gives very wholesome opportunities. It is a non-typical approach to the search problem.

In future, good assumed keyword search will allow to fast access only to necessary and fully related to the request subject information within search query.

I'm using VistaGlance already about a week ;) Its own keywords assigning feature very good idea, indeed.