Ghost taking 3000+ hours to copy 130g?

DysfunktinaL

So, after hours of headbanging to get my floppys to work with my drivers, only to find that the problem was that I needed to open the bat file and add the interupt for my nic to the command where the driver is loaded........... I started doing a backup of my target machine to the server I am using to multicast the image from. After about 45 minutes, it had completed roughly 30 megs... And was giving me a time remaining of about ~3000 hours.

The 2 servers are the same domain, and less then 20 feet from eachother.... What am I doing wrong?

I have 47 computers here. I need to capture the image from one machine, so I can broadcast it to all of them using multicast. I know I can use a mapped network drive, but then I'll pulling the same image @ different speeds and progression 47 times, instead of sending out the image once while 47 computers are listening.

It's more a matter of getting it done the way it needs to be done then finding work-arounds. This isn't a 1 time thing, it's a problem getting it set up right the first time. We will be ghosting all the computers once every month or so, so I need to get it set up right, so I can do it next time very quickly (and maybe teach someone else how to do it so it's not all on me.)

You can't boot each of your 47 computers to bartpe and use ghost to download via a multicast ghost server the image ?

Ghost32 is 32bit (seem obvious) and bartpe has 32bit drivers against a 16bits dos driver and a 16 bits ghost. Should be about 4 time faster and more stable. Anyway if you still want to do it using a floppy disk if your drive are sata try disabling usb in the bios before booting else try disabling sata interface if it exist. Most of the time irq conflict can slow down image processing.

You can't boot each of your 47 computers to bartpe and use ghost to download via a multicast ghost server the image ?

Ghost32 is 32bit (seem obvious) and bartpe has 32bit drivers against a 16bits dos driver and a 16 bits ghost. Should be about 4 time faster and more stable. Anyway if you still want to do it using a floppy disk if your drive are sata try disabling usb in the bios before booting else try disabling sata interface if it exist. Most of the time irq conflict can slow down image processing.

No, thats not the problem. I was trying to capture an image before sending it out to the network. I solved the problem by just doing a local back-up HDD to HDD in the same machine, and then send it out to my comps. I can only do 10 at a time because it is just the trial version. But thats okay because if I do all 47, I have to close the shop for about 12 hours while I do everything to set up the comps to receive, and then the post ghost set-ups. By only doing 10 at a time, I can still use most of the store for the customers, and get everything done in 2-3 days.

Sending the image was no problem. Took about 8.5 hours to send out the 130g image though. I don't think it should take that long though. I did the math, and thats about 5 megs a second, on a 100 Mgbs network.

100Mbps is 12.5 megabytes a second max speed

-edit, disable virus checking for the network folder that you are writing the image files to, it could speed things up dramatically

Edited by bledd

DysfunktinaL...

make a BartPE CD [adding the plugin and ghost32 of course] and boot it on the pc you want to create.

You dont need to ghostcast it to the server if it doesnt work.

You can create a [mapped] share with BartPE [providing the LAN is recognised] and then you can ghost to that location.

You can use that image to ghostcast out after as you would do normally :)

Thats how I've done it before anyhow - though these days I just use a UA cd, GP deployment & custom scripts for anything not GP-deploy-able ;)

Cheers

Nath