Blueray or HDDVD?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Blueray or HDDVD?

• Blueray
    • HDDVD

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I am not mistaken, Blu-Ray is winning this war?

I heard that there is only a few company left in the HD-DVD boat so it is only a matter of time before thoses exclusive titles are available to Blu-Ray.

Also, there are report in the states that there is 2 Blu-Ray player for 1 HD-Dvd sold to consumers (the PS3 is helping out).

Last thing to know, Blu-Ray burner are available for PC since 1 year now. HD-Dvd burner? Yet to be seen...

The war is not over yet.

Toshiba is cutting prices on HD DVD again. This is either a huge liquidation sale, or they're sending another wave of price cuts to compete.

Its best to wait and see what's up before making a decision. Unless you have money to burn. In which case go for it. HD-DVD and BluRay.

HD DVD died the minute that Warner Brothers (the only dual format supporter) decided to drop support for HD DVD. With only 2 out of the big 6 studios left with HD DVD, it's only a matter of time before BluRay becomes the dominant format. It would be interesting to reset the poll in this thread and see what opinions are like now.

HD DVD died the minute that Warner Brothers (the only dual format supporter) decided to drop support for HD DVD. With only 2 out of the big 6 studios left with HD DVD, it's only a matter of time before BluRay becomes the dominant format. It would be interesting to reset the poll in this thread and see what opinions are like now.

You never know. I'm waiting until HD DVD or BluRay is completely dead.

Neither will ever completely die because it existed, simply. There are still beta tape products available, same with laserdiscs and anything else that's ever been orphaned. Just because it lived, it will always live. Nonetheless, even if HD DVD doesn't completely die off, I believe it will be viable to invest in BluRay and not worry about making a mistake. More and more companies are releasing BluRay players. Sharp just launched their own BluRay player. I can't say that there's many companies trying to release HD DVD players other then Toshiba (who developed it).

Edited by jcarle

• 2 weeks later...

Neither will ever completely die because it existed, simply. There are still beta tape products available, same with laserdiscs and anything else that's ever been orphaned. Just because it lived, it will always live. Nonetheless, even if HD DVD doesn't completely die off, I believe it will be viable to invest in BluRay and not worry about making a mistake. More and more companies are releasing BluRay players. Sharp just launched their own BluRay player. I can't say that there's many companies trying to release HD DVD players other then Toshiba (who developed it).

Just because they existed doesn't mean they won't die.... ya right!, when was the last time you went looking to buy a song for your real to real audio player, 8track player, betamax cassette or "Laser Disk" movie? I knew people with all these formats and there players are about as useful as an ice maker at the north pole!

I do have one question though, why is it that everyone is making such a fuss about Warner Brothers? Universal who is 3 times the size switched from Blue Ray to only HDDVD, but it seems everyone forgot about them.

I think one of the keys is why Universal switched... FYI: Universal switched because of difficulty producing... tolerances being to strict... and generally higher cost of manufacturing Blue Ray. Other studios may get fed-up and switch back to HDDVD as well.

Then there is Disney, they have a big influence on those of us with kids.

There have been battles won in both camps, but the war seems to still be raging!

Edited by TwilightKid

• 3 months later...

Bluray is now more supported because warner bros also now use bluray instead of hddvd

Moderator edit (so old thread isn't bumped unnecessarily):

Pointless now voting for a dead format, isn't it?

Closed to prevent bumping the thread by n00bs and spammers.

Edited by CoffeeFiend
CoffeeFiend