Microsoft ISA Server and Windows XP

Thanks, Rogue for the quick reply! :hello:

One thing I know for sure is that Port 80 is blocked by ISA.

The only thing that I don't know is, if there is a way for the other apps to bypass the ISA gateway - could be that a hardcoded IP as you previously mentioned finds a route bypassing the ISA (could be possible, but that will be extremely difficult for me to trace.)

Actually, the pain has its limits (or in other, less polite words: I don't really care too much about the issue) since there is no company computer affected. All computers are private, but used more or less for the job (still, I don't really consider them my direct responsibility, but I try to help where I can.)

I came to the conclusion that there is a DNS issue by the following:

• IE claimed that it could not "find the server or DNS"
  • Firefox presented me anything between "gateway not found", "server not found", "connection reset", etc.
  • Opera 9 decided to show only a blank page and stay at that - no error message or anything similar.

I have tried all combinations of DNS entries that I could think of, used the local gateway, the remote DNS of the company's main site, public DNS addresses that I have from my ISP at home, from my Domain Host in Atlanta, and also OpenDNS

Let's wait until my colleague has removed the security updates or until my personal laptop is fit again (my PSU burnt out and I am waiting for a colleague to bring in a new one for me - that's the fate of someone working in a very remote location - we actually have the Internet on site since only June, 3 this year and the connection I am using now is even younger! - Before that we had to go 50km to the nearest Internet cafe)

Regards,

desrtfx

If you get the time, I think a third-party wireshark (ethereal) log of DNS activity on that network segment would be helpful in diagnosing this. That would tell us if the ISA is letting DNS come back through to the affected machine or not. Then we would know if the problem is at the ISA or if the client is dropping/misusing the packets.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick one to show that I'm still alive.

Haven't had much time lately, been very occupied with non-computer related tasks.

Currently I can't test the connection with Wireshark since the VSAT link is down.

Will update when I have tested.

Regards,

desrtfx