Re Enable VGA Driver

PigHeaded

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop running XP Home. The vga driver has been disabled. After bootup all I get is a black screen. None of the safe modes work. I can get into recovery. How do I re-enable the VGA driver?

Thanks,

Jerry

Hello,

I tried to use enable vga but ALL safe modes failed.

I tried doing a repair install but that gave me a partial fix. Instead of safe mode listing files and freezing, it now has a bar at the bottom go across than it freezes.

I just did the bootlog option using the safemode:minimal and I now have a bootlog. It is very large. What should I be looking for in the file? Where do I start?

Thanks,

Jerry

:hello:

My rule is when you have a problem, and you know the exact cause, you do everything to solve the cause and NOTHING else.

Here is how I would try to sole it:

-->Go to the recovery console. (Win install cd)

-->Login

-->Type 'listsvc' in command line ... you will see all services and drivers that are installed in your system. I hope you know the driver of your VGA card. It should be disabled. When you find the correct driver:

-->Type enable "drivername" Service_demands_Start (if the manual start doesn't work, try auto, then system, then boot.)

This should work.

Greets

Davor

Edited by Davor

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that all of the video drivers were removed including the vgasafe driver. So I only find a few items in the list that "might" match. they are nv set to manual, nvsvc set to auto, ati2mtag, atimtag, and atimtai all set to manual. I noticed that viaagp and viaide are both set to disable. I have a total of 17 items that are disabled. I will post the list if it helps.

I have BartPE running on the laptop now. So I looked at the bootlog and can see that vga.sys is not installed. I have no idea how to start it. I have tried to copy vga.sys, vga.drv, and vga.dll from the install disk into system32 and system32\drivers for the vga.sys file. But that did not help.

Thanks,

Jerry