Which edition of Win2k3?

R600

Hi,

presuming that a person uses a pc mainly for gaming and testing,

which edition(s) of Windows 2003 would be best to install?

(Standard/Enterprise/Web)

and which edition can be used to turn Windows 2003 into a workstation?

Designed for dedicated Web serving and hosting, Windows 2003, Web Edition, delivers a single-purpose solution for Internet service providers, application developers, and others who use or deploy specific Web functionality. Windows 2003, Web Edition, takes advantage of improvements in Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0, Microsoft ASP.NET, and the Microsoft® .NET Framework to make it easier to build and host Web applications, Web pages, and XML Web services.

:)

For More Information Visit "http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx"

i think that it depends mainly on specific video drivers, at home Win2K3 is slower than XP Home Ed. with same (optimized/updated) drivers, directx 9.0b and so on.. but it is far more stable with applications such as photoshop 7 and other resource consuming stuff

Hi,

presuming that a person uses a pc mainly for gaming and testing,

which edition(s) of Windows 2003 would be best to install?

(Standard/Enterprise/Web)

and which edition can be used to turn Windows 2003 into a workstation?

From my experience with Win2k3, it is not much of a home gaming and generally purpose Operating System. Although one can tweak it alot to do these functions, I would highly reccomend avoiding the hassle and sticking with Xp Pro with SP1. It works straight out of the box with little to no tweaking nessary.

Dont get me wrong Win2k3 is a nice OS, just not for the things you are going to be using it for.

|Drew|

If you want an OS for gaming, XP Pro will work best. It is built for that (among other purposes).

For testing, you can test all 3. (There's even a DataCenter edition, but it needs at least 8 CPUs...)