"single ethernet card with two interfaces"

hi

i need to have two interfaces (two different static addresses) on sinlgle ethernet card...

i can't find on web such solution how to run it on Windows (im using Windows XP PRO WORKSTATION)

i dont want to use dhcp&static, i need static&static with different mask,gateway and dns...

i know that smth vmware does when it installs but i dont really know what to do...

please help :)

btw.

sory for my bad english...

I don't remember the brand, may have been 3com(however doesn't make sense with next statement)

Cisco had some in I believe one of their blade routers or a firewall. It was a while ago sorry i can't provide much more info. may even have been 3 interface.

not possible to have both IP's active at a time. You can however write a batch file to change the ip settings on the fly. Do a google search for changing ip address with a batch file.

Why don't you just put a second NIC in it?

3Com, Intel, and Broadcom all make PCI based NICs with dual interfaces. I've difficulties bonding the interfaces on a 3Com, but no problems at all with Intel and Broadcom. With all three you can set the interfaces independant of each other no problem at all. The cards tend to be rather pricey as they're aimed at the server audience and for some reason almost anything server oriented is always triple the cost.

Another option would be to get a motherboard with dual NIC interfaces which seem to be more and more common these days. Personally, I would avoid any nForce board because their NICs are just a complete PITA.

well i use also linux debian sid (unstable) and i have two interfaces on single ethernet card in my config ;) interfaces.conf

if someone has smth to do with linux/unix know that there is smth like aliasing...

you can bring interfece 'eth0'

and next you can bring 'eth0:1' wich mean you can have two IP's in one hole ;)

technicaly they say it's "two interfaces on sinlgle ethernet card", see:

man interfaces

or /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz

i thought in windows (nt5) can be done smth like this...

i remember when i use vmware, it installs two or even three 'virtually' interfaces...

i have already two NICs but i need a "hole" in my switch :)

open the tcp/ip settings on your nic click on advanced and then you can add 2 static ip's 2 gateways on 2 subnets. unless you need to ahve physicly seprate cards this is the most logical way of doing what you want.

well, this can work.... ;D thanks

must chek it...

btw. d-link has four NICs on single PCI... this is smth nice too

http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/Products/Product.asp?id=158051