removing Security Center

fortwunty

I know this option used to be in there, because I would remove Security Center for every build I made. The build I am currently using has the Security Center removed. I haven't reinstalled XP in about a year now (usually I do this every couple of months). So I know the option was in there. Why was this removed? I just noticed last night the new version of nLite doesn't have that ability. The 'Security Center' component is simply missing. If the god **** registry tweak would work to disable Security Center, I'd be fine. Unfortunately it is not working though. This is what I am using currently:

> cmdlines.txt

[COMMANDS]

"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,nLiteReg"

"REGEDT32.EXE /S tweaks.reg"

And now for the actual registry tweak file:

> tweaks.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Windows Security Center

;; disable Security Center

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc]

"Start"=dword:00000004

;; disable anti-virus notifications

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]

"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

;; disable firewall notifications

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]

"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

Disabling the notifications seems to work fine, but disabling the actual service does not seem to work. If there is a way to fully remove Security Center from the source, that would rule. Possibly remove the .cpl? But then I'd probably have to do some modiyfing to txtsetup and dosnet. Or if anybody knows the ACTUAL registry key to disable this crap, that would also be very handy. Or, if for some reason the ability to disable/remove Windows Security Center still exists in nLite and I somehow managed to miss it, could someone please fill me in? Thanks a lot in advance.

Removing the Security Center won't do an awful lot. It's mainly just a helpful tool to keep the three main things organized and up to date: Anti-Virus, Firewall, and Windows Updates. Removing it would just revert XP back to SP1 (letting you decide what is best for your system AV/FW-wise).

I can't believe I missed Security Center there. I set other options in Operating System Options. Haha. I guess that's what I get for working on it late at night while stoned. Thanks for the help...