Networking desktop PC (no monitor) and laptop

Hi, I just bought a new desktop PC (It's still in the box).. I didn't buy a monitor because of space constraints.. I have a laptop, which I'd like to use as a monitor for the desktop PC.. I also need to be using the laptop while accessing the PC simultaneously.. What I have in mind is a window on laptop that could serve as monitor to the PC and can be controlled by laptop's keyboard and touch pad..

A friend suggested installing VNC server on the desktop and VNC viewer on the laptop and networking these two via the router.. However to intall VNC on the desktop, I need a monitor which I don't have.. How can I connect laptop and desktop in the first place even to install the necessary software in the desktop box..

Thanks in advance for your tips..

-supanth..

In order to use your laptop as a monitor to your desktop, you need to use remote control software (VNC, MS Remote Desktop, pcAnywhere, etc).

That means you either need to buy or borrow a monitor, keyboard and mouse to install/configure the software on the desktop PC. You would also want to configure the desktop PC to not halt on mouse/keyboard errors, because when it boots up, it won't have those devices present.

If you plan on getting online w/ either device, then a router is the way to go, otherwise you can just buy a cross-over network cable and directly connect the 2 computers.

You can remotely configure remote desktop or install vnc if at least you have network and firewall configured and know the login/password for the remote computer. You could also use dameware remote control which will autoinstall and allow you to remote control your computer.

As my predecessors here said, you will definitely need a screen, keyboard, and mouse to install the desktop.

A very good remote control software - which is even free and Opensource - is UltraVNC

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

http://www.ultravnc.com

very easy to install and configure! Just keep safety in mind and use NT Authentication for the remote login to the desktop PC.

I have tested serveral remote control solutions like DameWare MiniRemote, PcAnywhere, Radmin, etc. Finally, I've ended up using only UltraVNC on all the machines I need to remote contol.

Going online requires either 2 NICs in the desktop (unless the DSL modem has an USB output), Internet connection sharing on the Desktop and a crossover network cable (pins left to right 1x3, 2x6, 3x1, 4-4, 5-5, 6x2, 7-7, 8-8) or a router (DSL-in -> NICs or WLAN out)

Regards,

desrtfx