[qus] Framework Confusion

Hyperian

Currently my computer has:

framework 1.0 hotfix

framework 1.0 sp3

framework 1.1 hotfix

framework 1.1 sp1

framework 2.0

i've asked around (chatrooms and whatnot) that i need all of them, but this site implies that i only need the 1.1 and 2.0 that the nLite/addon site provides.

So i'm kinda confuse at what i need in the windows installer i'm making.

Edited by ZcWorld

what you may need:

- .NET Framework 1.1 (+ Service Pack 1 + KB886903 hotfix, of course)

- and/or .NET Framework 2.0 (no Service Pack or hotfix yet)

these 2 major version (v1 and v2) of the Framework aren't much compatible... I mean, you can (and maybe you will have to) install both versions, the trick is that some programs will need v2, others will need v1, and others can run with any version

most of the programs right now run with framework v2, because updating the source code from "v1 framework generation" to "v2 framework generation" is quite easy. for exemple, it is what it was done with nLite

shame on microsoft for not be able to do ascending compatibility :crazy:

edit, some more precisions: "1.0" framework is outdated and useless, use v1.1+fixes instead

have a look at RyanVM's switchless installers... they're up-to-date, and they even work on localized Windows (installation isn't language dependant)

Edited by OuTmAn

most of the programs right now run with framework v2, because updating the source code from "v1 framework generation" to "v2 framework generation" is quite easy. for exemple, it is what it was done with nLite

Also because recent versions of nlite are compiled with VS .Net 2005 instead of 2003. ;)