XpizeSettings load the settings.dat file unattendedly?

ZileXa

Hi, sorry to create a new topic... there are soo many already..

I like XPizeSettings because I want my Desktop icons tiled with transparent background.

The only way to do this is to open XPizeSettings, check the boxes you want, set it to start XPizeSettings at Windows Startup and then SAVE* the settings.

The settings will be saved to the file XPizeSettings.WindowsAccountName.dat

But I integrated XPize into my uA CD. I also put XPizeSettings.exe in my Windows\Resources folder.

I want XPize to start with Windows & use the predefined settings. So I thought I simply rename the .dat file to XPizeSettings.dat and place it in the same folder Windows\Resources...

But that doesn't work... because XPize really wants the file XPizeSettings.WindowsAccountName.dat.

So how to do this?

Doesnt XPizeSettings.AllUsers.dat or XPizeSettings.AllUsers.dat work?

No use, it only works for the filename containing the name.

Or make a variable to rename the file to the accountname?
Hmm... but that wouldnt be very efficient solution... and I rather just have 1 .dat file...

Thanks Xpero, I'll wait.

Edited by ZileXa

Hi all. Sorry for the slow response. I have been very busy :S

For the moment it isn't possible to do what you want. The settings are loaded based on the current user. So a Allusers approach isnt possible.

If i have time, i can try to make a solution in this way:

- if exists a XPizeSettings.AllUsers.dat, all other users settings will be ignored and those settings will be loaded.

- i cant promise that it will work fully in a unattended environment (i'm thinking for example enabling autorun of xpizesettings, but i will take a look on it)

Can't promise a timeline, but i will look for it soon.

BTW: Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.

Well, I always use a regtweak to get the desktop icon (and icontext) with a transparent background... I used regshot and this tool but it seems tile icons isn't done with a regtweak... I was just thinking about the method xpizesettings uses to do this trick... and using a hidden batchfile to run the command to to it at startup..

but.. once the desktop gets refreshed.. the xpizesettings has to tile them again (thats ofcourse what the Timed 5s option is for) so xpizesettings needs to run in the background and a command from a batchfile isn't enough.

Edit: I read some more.. you wrote somewhere this is more like a memory hack. and I read about Deskview.. 36 kb, starts up very fast and also lists the icons.. strange thing is when the desktop refreshes the items are still listed! And it doesn't run on the background. Only once so this just has to be executed once after reboot (for every user). Very easy to add to my cd.

Also it doesn't effect the transperency of my icons! (I don't understand why Xpizesettings does interfere with this since I set transperency with a regtweak.. only when I use Xpizesettings, it isnt tranceperent anymore unless I use the timed refresh).

But I still like your xPizeSettings better! since it also shows the details of the items.

Perhaps Deskview uses a less decent method or something..

Edited by ZileXa

Hi ZileXa,

like you have found, the TileView "trick" is not done, or even possible to be used by a regtweak. I use a technic in .net to send a "change the desktop to a tileview" message. Currently is done by a timer (resending that message only when needed), since when the desktop needs to be refreshed, all changes done after that are lost.

The deskview program is done in assembly win32 (xpize settings is done in .net 2.0), and uses a dll memory hack technic to implement the trick.

About the transparency thing ... since xpizesettings also changed the icons desktop color, maybe this can be improved ... but right now i dont have time.

Just give me some weeks and i will try to improve it.

Thanks for the comments.

• 5 months later...