WinXP installation problem

ricky85

Hi,

I am having a very strange problem while installing Windows XP. The installation

runs smoothly but when it gets to the screen where I have to enter the Name/Computer

Name screen it restarts. Sometimes it restarts when I type the registration key and

press enter.

After restarting it runs scandisk and says "Setup is being restarted...." and then

the PC restarts again. I haven't been able to get around this.

I am able to install win98 easily on this system.

The configuration of this PC is =

P3 - 866 Mhz

RAM - 192MB

Hard Disk - 80GB

Please reply, any help would be appreciated

it could be a simple thing like a setting in your bios. i know with the inspiron 7000 laptop, XP wont install when you have the video out mode set to anything other than LCD only. its weird, but it does kind of the same thing. it just fails.

look around in your bios, maybe set the bios defaults. you might get somewhere, you never know.

also, it could be a bad ram module. search for a ram testing program, such as this and you might get somewhere with that. iv personally never had a bad ram module, just ones that are incompatable and the computer just wont boot, but you never know.

anyway, hopefully you can get the computer working with XP, XP is much better for a computer of that speed. also, if you can, try windows 2000 pro, post back if you need any more help, or if you get somewhere with it. :)

thanks every1 for the replies,

I tried the following things but none of them worked -

1. Switched the RAM modules

2. Used them one by one

3. Set the Defaults in BIOS.

One thing I failed to mention, the hard disk and Cd ROM are set as Seconday Master and Secondary Slave respectively. (Actually , I am fixing this PC for a friend who has messed it up) Would that have any effect on the installation ? Should I set it to primary and then try again ?

Edited by ricky85

One thing I failed to mention, the hard disk and Cd ROM are set as Seconday Master and Secondary Slave respectively. (Actually , I am fixing this PC for a friend who has messed it up) Would that have any effect on the installation ? Should I set it to primary and then try again ?
what ide bus its on shouldnt matter.

remove/disable any devices you dont need to run windows xp setup, finsh, then enable them one at a time and see how the system acts.

(sound, lan, etc)

Check the HDD (with MHDD or Victoria). Maybe soft bad blocks are present...
I agree, also check you data cables, try to replace them and re try. Edited by XP_2600

ok,i haven't replaced the data cables yet. but i tried installing win2000 and had the same problem. The setup restarts midway. I'll check the hard disk as Elektrik has recommended. Will also replace data cables.

i have a feeling it might be something like what i have run into. have you ever installed XP or 2000 on this machine before? if not, then maybe your bios just isnt compatable. My inspiron 7000 is not win server2003 compatable, i get a blue screen trying to install it.

if i dont have the bios set to LCD only mode XP and 2000 fail to install. i still have a sneaking suspicion its something to do with your bios. but i could be wrong, hopefully i am <_<

this PC did have WinXP running before it crashed. Then it ran on Win98SE for some time. Now when I'm trying to install WinXP again it doesn't install.

then its not a bios issue, so my idea is out the window. try a different hard drive like, i believe, someone else here suggested.

also, what hardware have you changed since the last time you ran XP?

Edited by Cygnus