what was i thinking?

hello forums, my first post! :hello:

so i am new to nlite and the unattended idea, but i thought 'im a reasonably intelligent and able individual, why shouldnt i make my own windows cd?' that was yesterday. today i regret that decision. lots.

first the sob story (if you might be entertained):

i havent reinstalled windows in a while. i have a fairly tweaked and customized setup on my sole computer (a fujitsu p2120 ultraportable, im typing in a school computer lab right now) thats been working for at least a year. but im moving to germany this fall (for a year) and i thought i would give the little dude a fresh install for the trip. i made what i thought was a pretty decent winlite out of a corporate xp pro disk slipstreamed with sp2. i tested it with vmware through the install just to make sure no error messages (other testing is a little tedious considering the p2120s transmeta processor!). then i moved my important files to an external drive and reformatted the fujitsu. install went without a hitch until i wanted to access my external usb drive. 'detecting hardware' popped up in the sys tray and did its thing. but then explorer locked up when i tried to open 'my computer'. wouldnt open until i unplugged the usb drive! in a paniced moment of doubt, which i am now painfuly regretting, i blamed the nlite disc and reformatted with a regular copy. but guess what? same friggin problem as before!!! i even dug out my random 'usb enclosure' drivers cd, which isnt supposed to be needed in xp. well, it was as worthless as ever. still no go. i have all my drivers and software on my external drive and not even internet access or a decent monitor resolution. i dont really get whats going on... unless my external drive is failing and i am not ready to think about that. oh god. no.

now the sad and pathetic plea:

please tell me you know whats happening and can help me. please?? i cant even tell if this has any relation to nlite whatsoever, but ive *never* had trouble with usb on a fresh windows install on this laptop before.... argh. i need something off my external drive by 6pm too!

@beenthere: thanks for the link but that page assumes the problem is with usb 2.0 not being installed. but my usb seems to be installed just fine.

i think i figured it out, though... maybe? since making the nlited cd yesterday, i only had the original corp cd as an iso. instead of burning a copy, i just used an old non-bootable xp home to 'upgrade' my first attempt. i think this means that the problems *are* from the nlite version and the 'upgrade' just didnt fix anything. i noticed just now that the standby option is grayed out on shutdown and hibernate doesnt work. these things should not be removed! i think i will make a full version of the bootable xp disc and reinstall before i fret anymore over this. also my friends coming over with his laptop and i can see if the hdd is recognized on there.

if i can get it working on a fresh full windows install... i think i will be more conservative with nlite the next time (i thought i had been this time!). all i will take out is obvious junk like messenger, games, and the excessive langauge/keyboard support. hopefully thatll work?!?

Edited by textured

update: i am now totally at a loss. i have confirmed that the same usb drive works fine on a second laptop freshly installed with the same version of windows (not nlited). i then went back to my laptop and reinstalled from this same (not nlited) copy of xp and it cannot install my drive. it also has the standby selection grayed out at shutdown and hibernate doesnt work either (whereas both of these things work fine on the other laptop). ive spent all day trying to figure this out and still havent gotten *anywhere*, so any suggestions or links to other sites or ANY help would be greatly appreciated! **** i really need my laptop back up and running. ****. :wacko::unsure::wacko:

maybe....this is just a maybe....but maybe you need to have your hardware driver's installed in order for it to work properly, such as intel (or whatever) inf files that tell windows how to communicate with the motherboard or some other drive.

On my sony laptop the sound driver and some other driver wouldn't work unless i installed certain drivers beforehand...so...

maybe copy all your drivers to a dvd using your friends computer, and then instert it in and install everything...reboot and then check the usb drive again...

crazy. that was totally it. i think it was the video driver. i installed the drivers off of a cd-rw and now i have usb functionality! after getting that to work i went back and reinstalled the nlited disc i made. got everything up and running... on to the next slew of issues (file protection, phantom program folders, .... )

Edited by textured