Setting up a server using linux on a 1mb line?????

XPerties

Ok this is what I think I want to do or I think I should do....tell me your ideas or thoughts and possible how you have done it:

Im getting a 1mb up and down line within the next 4 weeks. I have one PC now and Im looking to get a barebone MB and CPU. With my budget Im looking at a PIII 1ghz, on board vid and sound. 512 of ram and a 20 gig hard drive. Now I heard linux is the best so Im probaly going with that.

Now the hardware Ive choosen, is this going to be ok for a server? And linux have promblems with any kinda hardware anyones aware of?

Moving on, when I get this second PC how should I have it hooked up? Like a router or a gateways or what???? You guys know where iM headed with try to get this working so if Im missing something then let me know. Try to be able to set websites up on it and have a ftp 24/7. Do you think haveing the ftp would be easyier than trying to get a linux server for webhosting? Not having any expericance with linux keeping that in mind. Give me your thoughts as I dont want this 1mb up and down to go to waste.

-XPerties

• 6 years later...

Even if you have a small budget, I would try to get something that you can expand with. For example try to save up for a while and get a decent motherboard and a decent processor. You can always start out with a small 20gig hard drive just for the linux os and then put in bigger hard drives for the websites. Plus when you get some extra cash you can put in more RAM if you start doing proxy servers and all that good stuff.

Good luck!