Add/slipstream SATA drivers - A fully working solution

Anderz

Thanks for the guide, but I'm confused. Where do you place the drivers then? In the $OEM$\$1\drivers folder? Your post doesn't mention anything about placing the drivers. Or maybe I don't have to since this is modified and Windows XP will install its own driver?

Actually Anderz already mentioned it here:

3. Copy only the .SYS file (iastor.sys) to the C:\XPCD\I386 folder. Keep the other files - you'll need some information from them a little later. Note that it's important that the .SYS file is uncompressed.

Keep in mind this method only works for simple drivers that only comes with a SYS file. For more complex drivers in which it comes with its own GUI for configuring the controller in Windows, you will need to slipstream/integrate the DLL and other files that come with the driver as well. It gets complicated in these cases.

Thanks for the guide, but I'm confused. Where do you place the drivers then? In the $OEM$\$1\drivers folder? Your post doesn't mention anything about placing the drivers. Or maybe I don't have to since this is modified and Windows XP will install its own driver?

Actually Anderz already mentioned it here:

3. Copy only the .SYS file (iastor.sys) to the C:\XPCD\I386 folder. Keep the other files - you'll need some information from them a little later. Note that it's important that the .SYS file is uncompressed.

Keep in mind this method only works for simple drivers that only comes with a SYS file. For more complex drivers in which it comes with its own GUI for configuring the controller in Windows, you will need to slipstream/integrate the DLL and other files that come with the driver as well. It gets complicated in these cases.

He only said that I need the information from the other files, but what do I do with them after I use those information? Do those files go into a folder inside the $OEM$\$1\drivers directory or what? That is what I have been asking.

He only said that I need the information from the other files, but what do I do with them after I use those information? Do those files go into a folder inside the $OEM$\$1\drivers directory or what? That is what I have been asking.

yes, put 'em in $OEM$\$1\drivers directory, you can create also a new folder in it

• 3 months later...

i did everything the guide said and even edited the dosnet.inf and all went well until the first boot into windows then bluescreened. i have an HP laptop and it had the same drivers as this guide.

Well,

I know different ways to do this have been beaten to death.

Bashrat would remember but about 2 years ago we spent about 4 Months developing a method of creating an additional Driver CAB File with more Drivers for Windows and it would RETAIN the drivers in Windows AFTER Install so lets say you have a bunch of USB items or do a Hardware change the Drivers were already present and the Windows Driver Auto-Detect would find the drivers in Windows and install them automatically.

We also used this method for RAID Drivers as this method added drivers to the heart of Windows. :thumbup

This was a HUGE break through and the research led to several new Methods being developed for Integrating drivers based on the original method. :whistle:

It might be advisable to take a trip down memory lane and visit the thread (That is now closed).

Windows Keeping The Drivers Method

Well,

I know different ways to do this have been beaten to death.

Bashrat would remember but about 2 years ago we spent about 4 Months developing a method of creating an additional Driver CAB File with more Drivers for Windows and it would RETAIN the drivers in Windows AFTER Install so lets say you have a bunch of USB items or do a Hardware change the Drivers were already present and the Windows Driver Auto-Detect would find the drivers in Windows and install them automatically.

We also used this method for RAID Drivers as this method added drivers to the heart of Windows. :thumbup

This was a HUGE break through and the research led to several new Methods being developed for Integrating drivers based on the original method. :whistle:

It might be advisable to take a trip down memory lane and visit the thread (That is now closed).

Windows Keeping The Drivers Method

thanks this is just what the doctor ordered.

I Strongly suggest the read through of the entire thread.

It has the entire development process and covers a great deal of testing. The information is INVALUABLE and will give you a great insight into how Windows works during install.

Somewhere in there I wrote an entire Tutorial on how to do it (The Integration). It is WELL worth the time and it is a GREAT read! :thumbup

Edited by X-Savior

i read through, it's all very informative. can those ideas be use on an already installed windows. i like the idea of the *.cab driver file.

Edited by geo411m

I have never tried to Integrate into an existing install....

As I said, if you are doing a fresh install it is FANTASTIC!

The reason I wonder is that many of the entries are then integrated into the Registry and configuration files.

I may do a quick look into the possibility but I would not hold my breath (At least it will be much more difficult to make it work).

I admit it would be a fun to give it a try.... :sneaky::whistle:

• 2 months later...

This thread is a life saver!

I was attempting to downgrade from Vista to XP on a Gateway MT6840 use the f6 method and a USB floppy drive, which just wouldn't work.

This method worked the first time! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

UPDATE: I spoke too soon. I was able to get XP installed up until the first re-boot. Now it is stuck in a BSOD loop. I am going to try to use the raid slipstreamer application and see how far I get with that.

Edited by 242

i always use this format to install mostly all raid i can find...

via .. intel ... simage.. sis ... jmicron.. ITE .... High Point...

and last problem with nvidia...

using beta version of nvraid drivers at the moment...

just wish to have a solution to intergrate nvdia raid to compartible with all nforge 2 3 4 5 6

**** nvidia drivers sux.

This thread is a life saver!

I was attempting to downgrade from Vista to XP on a Gateway MT6840 use the f6 method and a USB floppy drive, which just wouldn't work.

This method worked the first time! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

UPDATE: I spoke too soon. I was able to get XP installed up until the first re-boot. Now it is stuck in a BSOD loop. I am going to try to use the raid slipstreamer application and see how far I get with that.

Hi "242", did you managed to get win XP working on your Gateway MT6840 laptop?, if so could you please let me know how did you managed to do it?, I have an exact Gateway laptop model as yours and I want to downgrade to XP as well.....

edit: So, I managed to slipstream the drivers with "nlite" and it was VERY easy, way much better than the method described here, so don't even bother with this thread and instead integrate any drivers with "nlite", not a single problem and it can be done in just a few minutes

Edited by DroogieX