Add/slipstream SATA drivers - A fully working solution

Anderz

I've seen directions similar to this here and the Beginner's PC site.

It's a thorough guide to adding your mass storage drivers to the txtsetup.sif file.

I've used it since for my ITRAID but it doesn't work for HPT 370/372. I think problem is HPT uses two files: hptpro.sys and hpt3xx.sys and it's not clear how you specify these two files.

Good luck.

This is the commonly used method. It's been in use for YEARS. And when you start setup through winnt.exe/winnt32.exe then 'your method' will fail, because you are forgetting to update the dosnet.inf file. ;)

Do you mind informing us what the required entries would be in the dosnet.inf for his example?

• 2 weeks later...
This is the commonly used method. It's been in use for YEARS. And when you start setup through winnt.exe/winnt32.exe then 'your method' will fail, because you are forgetting to update the dosnet.inf file. ;)

Yeah ... that would be of some interest for me too - although I won't use it! :) Thanks for the tip Bâshrat the Sneaky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, these are similar to the methods I used

If anyone is interested, I have recently updated the "RAID Slipstreamer" (for work) that integrates all known SCSI/RAID/SATA drivers used in my company into Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 I386 source, allowing for automatic detection of mass storage drivers (for use with unattended installation). Country IT staffs have been using this for several years already and they all seem very happy. And the best is that, I only need to update the package once every 1.5 to 2 years (IT support staffs hate change :) )

It's really nothing more than what you may already know but for [lazy] people who don't feel like doing it themselves...

email me if you are interested = itwins@gmail.com. It's only 3.6MB small and it slipstreams these drivers (the editor attachment doesn't work!)

Download RAID Slipstreamer v2.0 from Rapidshare

(Work email excerpt to global IT support staffs)

untitledyv1.png

Raid Slipstreamer v2.0 supports:

- All models of IBM System X servers

- All models of IBM eServer xSeries servers

- All models of Dell PowerEdge servers

- All models of Dell Precision Workstations

- All models of Dell desktops with SATA/RAID Controllers and AHCI enabled

Raid Slipstreamer v2.0 supports the following Mass Storage Devices:

Windows 2003

- IBM ServeRAID 8i/8k SAS Controller

- Intel 82801FR/GHM/GR/GH/GBM/FBM AHCI/SATA RAID Controller

- Adaptec Ultra320 SCSI Controller / IBM ServeRAID 7e SCSI Controller

- IBM ServeRAID 4M/4Mx/4L/4Lx/5i/6M/6i/7k Controller

- LSI Logic PERC 4e/Di,4e/Si,4e/DC,4/Di,4/DC,4/SC,3/QC,3/DC,3/DCL,3/SC

- LSI Logic SAS 5x RAID Controller

- LSI Logic Perc 5e/i Raid Controller

- Adaptec 39160 Family SCSI Controller

- Adaptec PERC 2, 2/Si, 3/Si, 3/Di SCSI Controller

- QLogic QL40xx iSCSI Controller

- QLogic QL2300 Fiber Channel Controller

- Adaptec AIC-94xx SAS/SATA Controller

- Adaptec ASC-48300 SAS/SATA Host Adapter

- Promise Technologies Ultra 33/66/100/133 TX2 IDE Raid Controller

- VMware SCSI Controller

Windows 2000

- LSI Logic PERC 4e/Di,4e/Si,4e/DC,4/Di,4/DC,4/SC,3/QC,3/DC,3/DCL,3/SC

- LSI Logic SAS 5x RAID Controller

- Adaptec 39160 Family SCSI Controller

- Adaptec PERC 2, 2/Si, 3/Si, 3/Di SCSI Controller

- QLogic QL40xx iSCSI Controller

- VMware SCSI Controller

Windows XP

- Dell SAS 5x RAID Controller

- VMware SCSI Controller

Raid Slipstreamer v2.0 has been tested to work on the following servers:

- IBM ServeRAID 8i SAS Controller (IBM System X x3650 server - Windows XP and Windows 2003)

- Intel 82801FR SATA Raid Controller with AHCI enabled (Dell Precision Workstation 390)

- Home-Built server (Promise Technologies Ultra 33/66/100/133 TX2 IDE Raid Controller)

- VMware Workstation v5.5.x (virtual LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Controller)

PS. During slipstream, it will create and copy all the RAID drivers to the "\I386\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\RAID" folder. You may need to add this string in your UNATTEND.TXT answer file:

[Unattended]
OEMPnPDriversPath=Drivers\RAID;

Cheers,

Edited by iTwins

This took me a long time to figure this out because several years ago every Internet search resulted in telling you that you only need to add the entries into the TXTSETUP.SIF.

THAT IS NOT ENOUGH!

And for those who know, they are not willing to share, as if it was some commercial secrets or whatever.

I am glad MSFN.org is around. I learnt alot from this forum and the generous people here who are willing to share! Kudos to you all!

Anyways, how are you guys reading Kixtart scripts? It shouldn't be too hard to understand even if you don't know VB/VBS or Kixtart.

The RAID Slipstreamer was mainly written using Kixtart scripts; the GUI was written using VB6. I am really not a programmer. In fact I am terrible in programming. :no:

This is just a small portion of the whole program. In this case, it was the IBM ServeRAID 8i/8k Controller subroutine:

:AACSAS
; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; IBM ServeRAID 8i/8k
;
; For Windows XP/2000
; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

writeprofilestring("$PATH\DOSNET.INF","FloppyFiles.2","d1","aacsas.sys")
writeprofilestring("$PATH\DOSNET.INF","Files","d1","aacsas.sys")

IF $OSTYPE="XP"
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","SourceDisksFiles","aacsas.sys","1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4")
ELSE
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","SourceDisksFiles","aacsas.sys","1,,,,,,3_,4,1")
ENDIF

writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0285&SUBSYS_02f21014",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0285&SUBSYS_02989005",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0285&SUBSYS_02999005",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0285&SUBSYS_029A9005",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0285&SUBSYS_02A49005",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0285&SUBSYS_02A59005",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0286&SUBSYS_95801014",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0286&SUBSYS_95401014",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0286&SUBSYS_02A29005",'"aacsas"')
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","HardwareIdsDatabase","PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0285&SUBSYS_02A39005",'"aacsas"')

writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","SCSI.Load","aacsas","aacsas.sys,4")
writeprofilestring("$PATH\TXTSETUP.SIF","SCSI","aacsas",'"IBM ServeRAID 8i/8k SAS Controller"')

SHELL 'CMD /C C:\WINNT\TEMP\ALTER.EXE $PATH\DOSNET.INF "d1=aacsas.sys" "d1,aacsas.sys"'
SHELL "CMD /C DEL $PATH\DOSNET.DEL"

RETURN

PS. ALTER.EXE is a DOS program to search and replace text within a file. In this case, it searches for "d1=aacsas.sys" and replaces it with "d1,aacsas.sys"

1) Depending on the platform type, copy all the vendor-provided drivers to the user-provided "\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\RAID" path. Hence the reason why you need to specify the "OEMPnPDriversPath=Drivers\RAID" strings in the UNATTEND.TXT answer file

2) And then copy all the compressed .SYS files to the user-provided I386 path.

You don't really have to compress the .SYS files but I'd like to follow the Microsoft standard and I have to conserve disc space as I have to stuff 18GB operating system files into a 4.7GB DVD disc.

SELECT
CASE $OSTYPE = "2003"
SHELL "CMD /C COPY /y C:\WINNT\TEMP\2003\FULL\*.* $PATH\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\RAID"
SHELL "CMD /C COPY /y C:\WINNT\TEMP\2003\*.SY_ $PATH"

CASE $OSTYPE = "2000"
SHELL "CMD /C COPY /y C:\WINNT\TEMP\2000\FULL\*.* $PATH\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\RAID"
SHELL "CMD /C COPY /y C:\WINNT\TEMP\2000\*.SY_ $PATH"

CASE $OSTYPE = "XP"
SHELL "CMD /C COPY /y C:\WINNT\TEMP\XP\FULL\*.* $PATH\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\RAID"
SHELL "CMD /C COPY /y C:\WINNT\TEMP\XP\*.SY_ $PATH"
ENDSELECT

That's all, really.

For more information, refer to my other post elsewhere: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...173&st=164#

Edited by iTwins

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thank you Anderz for writing a sweet guide. I have the same exact S-ATA controller on a HP laptop and after reading up on tons of guides that did not work. Yours worked on the very first try! I used UltraEdit to find the exact lines where you added your entries to the txtsetup.sif file

Magic ISO to save the boot info. Then reload boot info after creating the modified Win XP ISO.

The S-ATA drive was automatically detected like an IDE drive!

Thank you MSFN and thank you Anderz!!

• 1 month later...

Yup yup,

My sata model is exactly the same, am glad I had allready some experience with msfn and that I know exactly how to make a nice unattended xp pro dvd. Now I really need to try tis, coz with my old dvd on my new notebook it doesn't work anymore.

Let's have a look,

Will give some more specs if it worked.

greetz

Jonathan :D

I am trying to setup the drives for the Dell precision 690

SAS 5lir drivers. The details are below. I have also included the dell drivers as an attachment.

I am not sure what numbers to use for the files... How do I determine all of the correct options? See my details below. Once I maded the changes to the system to my txtsetup.sif I get a windows stop error when it starts to load windows. Prior to the change I was getting an error saying no hard disk found.

eg... The drivers oemsetup.txt

has the following:

[Files.scsi.DELL_SAS_5X] (I copied the sys inf and cat files to the i386)

driver = d1,symmpi.sys,SYMMPI

inf = d1,symmpi.inf

inf = d1,delpseud.inf

catalog = d1,mpixp32.cat

so I added the following to [sourceDisksFiles] (I am not sure how or what options I select here. Again the drivers are uncompressed and are sitting in the I386 directory. Note I also have the drivers in my $oem$ so once out of text mode Windows can install the correct driver.

symmpi.sys = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

symmpi.inf = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

delpseud.inf = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

delpseud.inf = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

and I added the list below to [HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_1F041028, "symmpi"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_1F061028, "symmpi"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_1F071028, "symmpi"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_1F081028, "symmpi"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_1F091028, "symmpi"

I added the following to [sCSI.Load]

symmpi = symmpi.sys,4

Under [sCSI]

I added symmpi = "DELL PERC5 RAID Controller Driver (Windows XP)" but I also see symmpi = "LSI Logic PCI Fibre Channel Host Adapter"

Hi y'all!

What I'm about to explain is how you can add SATA/RAID drivers by editing only one file - TXTSETUP.SIF - which is placed in the I386 folder (C:\XPCD\i386\TXTSETUP.SIF). I've tested this method and it's bulletproof (atleast so far :whistle:)...

First of all I want to thank the guy that posted THIS several years back (and it was for Windows 2000 back then), without that posting I would still be pounding my head against a brick-wall.

This post should cover whatever SATA controller out there - just test for yourself. The guy in the original posting mentioned above, is talking about an IBM ServerRaid driver/controller. The SATA driver I want to install is for the Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M/DH).

Follow this guide step by step:

1. Comment out or remove anything under MassStorageDriver and OEMBootfiles you might have in WINNT.SIF.

2. Download the latest drivers (I'm using the current v6.x driver from Intel) and extract them.

3. Copy only the .SYS file (iastor.sys) to the C:\XPCD\I386 folder. Keep the other files - you'll need some information from them a little later. Note that it's important that the .SYS file is uncompressed.

4. In the C:\XPCD\I386 folder you must now open the file TXTSETUP.SIF in your favorite text-editor and do the following:

4.1 Under the section [sourceDisksFiles] add:

iastor.sys   = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

Remember to change the name of the sys file to the one you use! I put this on line 1653.

4.2 Under the section [HardwareIdsDatabase] add:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

You will find the information for your specific controller in the file TXTSETUP.OEM that you extracted with the driver. I put this on line 18800.

4.3 Under the section [sCSI.Load] add:

iastor = iastor.sys,4

Change the names iastor and iastor.sys to your file's name. I put this on line 19244.

4.4 Under the section [sCSI] add:

iastor  = "Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M/DH)"

Change the name iastor to your file's name. I think the name in "" can be whatever you like, but I used the same name used in TXTSETUP.OEM just in case. I put this on line 21586.

5. Save the file and exit. Burn the image and boot using the CD... Voila!

--------

Notes:

- No need to use the TEXTMODE folder. Just delete.

- No "The file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (18)...blahblah" error message during installation. This is the real reason I'm now using this method.

- No need for ekstra files in the image - but you still need drivers defined in OemPnPDriversPath in WINNT.SIF. This explanation is only for the textmode and protected mode of the Windows XP Pro installation!

- No need for any entries in WINNT.SIF (except the one above).

- The only downside is that you actually have to edit the TXTSETUP.SIF file. :P

Tell me what you think - does it work for you as well?

@Philster: I think you can add all the different SATA drivers you want to, but I've only tested the one I documented here. Sharing is the thing!

@mjschug: You did what I said in number 3? I haven't tested this over a network installation, however, I will test this on RIS in a week or so (I hope). I will keep you updated on this.

@azaze1: Fixed! Thanks! :blushing:

@LispWarez: Hmmm .. didn't see it!

Thanks for the guide, but I'm confused. Where do you place the drivers then? In the $OEM$\$1\drivers folder? Your post doesn't mention anything about placing the drivers. Or maybe I don't have to since this is modified and Windows XP will install its own driver?