differences between Windows XP OEM and Retail version

ladude626

Has anyone ever compared the difference between the files in the i386 folders of a OEM version of Windows XP versus a Retail version? The reason I want to know this is because I have a Dell OEM Windows XP cd with a lot of crab in it as well as a Retail version. I want to transform the Retail version into a Dell OEM cd without all the useless stuff. Is there a file that I can transfer from the Dell version to the Retail version which allows the Retail version to accept the Dell OEM cd-key and allows it to be activated?

i think this is possible, i have seen it done. just as long as both XP copies are identical, both either pro or home, they will work. however, if one is pro and the other is pro corporate, it wont. ill look for the post that i saw it in where you can change the files over.

found it, http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=74943 that post contains the files you need to copy from one disc to the other. how ever, there might be other things your going to need.

-brian

Edited by brian10161

I tried but I can't transform a VLK to an OEM. Is it true that this is not possible?
There is only one line in setupp.ini that controls what product key it accepts.

Of course, you will need the correct product key.

I tried but I can't transform a VLK to an OEM. Is it true that this is not possible?

There is only one line in setupp.ini that controls what product key it accepts.

Of course, you will need the correct product key.

I changed both the OEMBIOS.* and setupp.ini but it doesn't seem to work.

I found the solution!

I used Easy SFV Creator 2.7 to compare a VLK and OEM of Windows XP Pro and I found that the following files are different (not including the files in the $OEM$ folder):

"I386\DPCDLL.DL_"
"I386\EULA.TXT"
"I386\OEMBIOS.BI_"
"I386\OEMBIOS.CA_"
"I386\OEMBIOS.DA_"
"I386\OEMBIOS.SI_"
"I386\PIDGEN.DLL"
"I386\SETUPP.INI"

Edited by ladude626

I found the solution!

I used Easy SFV Creator 2.7 to compare a VLK and OEM of Windows XP Pro and I found that the following files are different (not including the files in the $OEM$ folder):

"I386\DPCDLL.DL_"
"I386\EULA.TXT"
"I386\OEMBIOS.BI_"
"I386\OEMBIOS.CA_"
"I386\OEMBIOS.DA_"
"I386\OEMBIOS.SI_"
"I386\PIDGEN.DLL"
"I386\SETUPP.INI"

kool, glad you got it working, good job :)