Who has actually done this...

Our company is migrating from Win2k Pro to Win XP Pro. This needs to be an "in-place" upgrade due to the complexity of so many applications in use by various departments (AutoCAD, Oracle, MS Project, etc..). The standard MS approved "best method" of wipe-and-load WILL NOT DO. I'm 90% there with this, but my sticking point is device drivers that either: a) are not found during setup and don't load, B) drivers that seem to need more files (that are there) but find them later...

I'm using nLite to integrate hotfixes and drivers and that works great so far.

I've used some AutoIT scripts with devcon.exe and SetDevicePath as somewhat of a work around.

I realize we are very much behind the curve of just upgrading now... but it's been a sticky political corporate thing.

I'm just wondering who has done this and how did you accomplish the task.

We finally had to settle for 70-80% and left the others to attrition and/or reimaging. Scripting it and making it hands-free for our remote users was the biggest chore. Sounds like you're way ahead of us w/the tools you have now. Wish I had known a lot more back then.

You may want to review your path to see why it can't find files that are there. Maybe a temp adjustment to point directly to them, or copying them locally to a defined folder before the upgrade?

Edited by Mordac85

Thanks! That's a pretty good idea... almost so simple I would have never thought of it!

Maybe this will bump the post up and someone else can chime in.