My mouse runs about!

roger04

Help!! Sometimes when I move my mouse a little,it starts running about like hell.It not only runs but clicks and close down my programs.What could be the problem? I dont think its software problem,because I've formatted my pc a few times already.Please help.I'm totally annoyed by this problem.

Like they said ... when a mouse or any device closes programs in this manner it typically means you have a trojan/virus on your system. One of the programs you are installing is possibly infected. After formatting the hard drive (be sure to include the master boot record) scan all of the programs before and after installation one-at-a-time to find the infected program. Then you know which program is infected.

As a precaution I would perform a second format after finding the infected program just to be on the safe side just because I would feel better about the future stability of my system. Some of these bugs can be pretty sophisticated and there are other remedies, so if that does not work let us know. If the viri scanner tool that Drew submitted tells you the name of the bug please post the name of it here just out of curiosity reasons please.

Well,I have the latest virus definition of Norton 2003.BTW ,when I 1st installed Windows XP itself the problem happens.Hm..

HPS is a polymorphic Windows 95 virus which contains this text:

< Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) Virus BioCoded by GriYo / 29A >

HPS stays active in memory and infects Win32 EXE files as they are accessed, encrypting its own code with variable polymorphic encryption layer.

HPS activates on Saturdays. If a non-compressed Windows bitmap (BMP) file has been opened, the virus horizontally flips the picture. HPS patches the value DEADBABE (in hex) to the end of the bitmap header area to avoid flipping the same image again. Since non-compressed bitmap files are frequently used by Windows 95 and 98, this causes all kinds of weird effects - such as the start-up and power-down screen of Windows being "mirrorized".

Doesn't sound like you are infected with the hanta virus.Sounds to me like an incompatible or damaged mouse or serial or ps2 port.As previously stated a good measure would be to try another mouse.Check for bent contacts on the connection end.Also boot sector viruses could show up as bad sectors. Some symptoms of a boot-sector virus include:

You can't launch Windows

Your computer can't perform a disk-based setup

You get diskette errors

You get hard drive errors

You get non-system disk errors

You have memory or program lockup problems

If you have been hacked and are online a hacker could control your mouse through a compromised port,but as you stated it happend after a fresh install of your opsys.I'll go with the bad mouse on this one so you may have to take Pia's advise and get a cat instead. :) Let us know roger04.Good luck.