reduced windows 2000 with functionality

dirtwarrior

Clint is a genius when it comes to modding an OS. I betrayed him by posting something I shouldnt have in a server, so we may never find out.

But it is an amazing piece of art. I have tested 2 mods of his and each one was better than the last.

When I remove everything from Win2k SP4 the ISO is 65MB, ofcource it's not usable, so I have to add something here and something there, and then it's around 90-100MB.

But how can I remove more?

When I remove everything from Win2k SP4 the ISO is 65MB, ofcource it's not usable, so I have to add something here and something there, and then it's around 90-100MB.

But how can I remove more?

Well, nLite can do just so much for you...it is actually very far from the complete solution.

It misses a lot of dead junk, uneeded drivers and dll's...not to mention the sloppy leftovers in dialogs and snapins.

My build that I posted info on has better looking UI, updated drivers, a fully working DX9c, modifed XP icons on front....and still are much much smaller and draws less than your "click on everything and now I'm an OS builder" nLiter...

oh, I forgot to mention that this is a normally installed OS, no postripping, no regediting (all preedited in hives)...and the ISO is 45MB..so it fits on a businesscard-cd :whistle:

Just plug the disc in and 4min later you have a working OS, User rights, Group Policy, add/remove program, network, DHCP...ALL is working. ;)

And I edited the front (desktop, explorer icons) to XP style, so it looks really nice too...

..and it pulls 18MB idle.

Edited by Clint

So Clint, to what off-shore bank account do we send the money for a how-to??? ;)

I do this for fun only, but the fun ends when posting how-to's...because either ppl can't follow guidelines given and then post negative about it...or they rip things out of context...same result.

I've posted here before and will not do it again.

But I will let you know when it's posted elsewhere. ;)

Anyway, the newer versions of nLite will not allow you to remove anything near as much as in the older ones...with that I mean with your own batches and edits.

You will end up with a broken install for sure.

..why?

..ask Nuhi ;)

Clint, you should talk to Fred Vorck and TommyP at the HFSLIP forum. TommyP is doing HFCLEANUP which are reducer files used with HFSLIP (slipstream hotfixes and IE6 and other stuff into Win NT OS's).

I'm impressed you were able to do that.

Do you rip out IE as well?

Clint, you should talk to Fred Vorck and TommyP at the HFSLIP forum. TommyP is doing HFCLEANUP which are reducer files used with HFSLIP (slipstream hotfixes and IE6 and other stuff into Win NT OS's).

I'm impressed you were able to do that.

Do you rip out IE as well?

Yes, HFSLIP is an excellent util!! :thumbup

I've been using it since a long time, perfect for adding updates and whatnot to source. ;)

Yes, IE is out...that's one of the first thing that goes.

Edited by Clint

I was hoping you'd have something to add to TommyP's HFCLEANUP files.

That way we could take advantage of what you've done and you'd only have to deal with TommyP's questions, who knows what he's doing, as opposed to questions of people who have no clue.

Edited by saugatak