Multiple Driver Configuration?

lebanezedude

Hey guys I have been surfing this website and forum for a few weeks noa and have created many useful unattended DVDs. I would like to create a dvd that allows me to custom install driver and apps according to the system I am installing on. I have several different systems in my department and each with a different set of drivers. I was wondering if there was a way to create an unattedned install that asks for the specific name for example and then runs a specific RunonceCmd on startup. I have seen posts before that require me to copy put the same copy of WinXP in different folder like the tutorial on FlyaKite's site and was wondering if there was a way to do this and only use one folder with all the winXP files and a command that would point to the specific files that need to be custom installed...

Thanks

i dont know if that is possible, windows XP wasnt really meant to do that. but then again, i have been surprised at what can be done with windows (by just about everyone on this wonderful forum) so im sure that anything is possible.

the best thing i can suggest though would be just to incorporate all the drivers your planning on, then when windows is installing is just uses the drivers it needs anyway. that might be your best bet. i hope someone else can offer more insight into this for you.

good luck

Permit me to approach the issue from a different angle, as I had a similar process issue:

One unattended image build for all hardware used to create all deployable "super-set" application or hardware (HAL, Tablet, etc) images.

I provide all the drivers via OEMPnPDriversPath in the winnt.sif. All drivers exist in c:\drivers, then during the deployment, be it sysprep or continued unattended, a script queries WMI for hardware information and runs specific application installs based on that output. For example, WMI replies laptop = VPN install, WMI replies with model information = wireless application for that hardware is installed, etc.

PnP will only take the drivers that it needs, so like Cygnus said that is a non-issue. Hardware specific app installs can either be on the image or called from the network. This way it is completely unattended through deployment. The deployment script uses hierarchy structure; platform, manufacturer, model to facilitate the logic. It can be as general or as specific as required. This method has proven to be very extensible in production and adapts quite readily to change.