When a new & latest Service Pack 2.5 ?

Hi.

As Microsoft is stopping Windows Updates for Win 98SE after 31/07/06, it would be very cool to see a new and latest release of this unofficial service pack, including all the updates since version 2.1a, until August 2006, and to be maybe named version 2.5, and maybe released in August/September 2006, if enoug time available ?

Thanks.

Hi.

As Microsoft is stopping Windows Updates for Win 98SE after 31/07/06, it would be very cool to see a new and latest release of this unofficial service pack, including all the updates since version 2.1a, until August 2006, and to be maybe named version 2.5, and maybe released in August/September 2006, if enoug time available ?

Thanks.

where exactly did MS say they'll stop WU for Win98se after July 31, 2006? I found no info about it anywhere.

Yes guys.

The correct date is effectively : 11/07/06 !!

And this is for sure : no more updates or hotfixes or anything new or any support of any kind after this date, either from the download pages of MS website, or either by windows update !!!

Maybe windows update may continue to be used, supposed by a user that just re-installed his Win98SE, AFTER the 11/07/06, but I'm not sure, and for how long, that is the big question.....

So, guys, that is why it becomes more and more important that this unofficial SP get updated AFTER the final 11/07/06, let's say in August/September 2006 :

We will really need a new version (2.5 ?), that will be the last one, and that will last forever and forever :

Any future install of Win98SE would only need this new version, and that's done ! No need to go windows update, because it may not work anyway !!!

Hi again.

By the way, when I compare this SP with AutoPatcher, I am frustrated !...

Look : I think there should be a separate release, called the "Full Release", and that would contain more tools, utilities, softs, and updates, to make our Win98SE the best system that we like so much to continue to use !

For example, what I would suggest to include here are :

- acrobat reader 6.04 (I have all the updates with me).

- Croa 1.6 Free (http://www.davidcrowell.com/)

- JStrip 3.3 Free (http://www.davidcrowell.com/)

- DivX 5.2.1 Free (I have the setup with me).

- Flash Player 9.0 Free (I have the setup standalone with me).

- Shockwave Player 10 Free (I have the setup standalone with me).

- Latest version of "HOSTS" Free (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm)

- Nero InCD Reader Free 4.3.2.0.1 Free (I have the setup with me).

- IrfanView 3.98 Free (http://www.irfanview.com/)

- MS .NET 1.1 + Updates (I have files).

- MS .NET 2.0

- MS IE 6.0SP1 Full Install for Win98SE + Latest Cumulative Security Update for Win98SE (11/07/06 ?).

- MS DAC 2.8 + Update.

- MS Media Player 9.0 + Updates.

- MSN Messenger 7.0 for Win98SE (I have latest build).

- All Free MS Office Viewers (I have all the latest setups).

- MS VB Runtimes 1.0 + 2.0 + 3.0 + 4.0 + 5.0SP2 + 6.0SP6 (I have all files).

- MS Win Installer 2.0

- MS Win Script 5.6 for Win98SE.

- QuikTime 6 for Win98SE (I have latest build).

- Real Player Free Gold 10.5 (I have the setup).

- SpyWareBlaster 3.51 Free (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/).

- StartUp CPL 2.8 Free (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml).

- MSJVM 3.8.0.5

- SunJava2RTSE2015007 (www.sun.com).

- WinAmp Full 5.24 (http://www.winamp.com/)

- WinImage 8.0 (http://www.winimage.com/).

- Music Match JukeBox 9.0 for Win98SE (I have latest build).

- WinRar 3.51 (http://www.rarsoft.com/download.htm).

- WinZip 10.0 (www.winzip.com)

- WinZip Self Extractor 2.2 (www.winzip.com)

- WS_FTP 5.0.8 LE Free for Win98SE (I have the setup).

- Yahoo Messenger 7.5 (I have standalone setup).

- Zone Alarm Free for Win98SE 6.1.744.001 (I have latest setup. New version 6.5 does not support Win98 !).

- AVG Free 7.1.394a763 (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-free).

- Free Pascal 2.02 (www.freepascal.org).

- MS DirectX 9.0c Full Redistributable Package of June 2006 Edition (I have setup with me).

So ? What do you think ?

OK : maybe, for legal reasons, some of them may not be possible to include to this update...

OK : maybe, for some lacking of time and ressources, some of them may not be possible to include in this update...

OK : maybe, to avoid to increase too much the size of the downloadable update, some of them may not be possible to include to this update...

But, anyway, now we have all broadbands, I would not mind spending one hour dowloading 400 MB of Setup, that would include the maximum of all of these !!!

So, what do you think ?

Look at these tools carefully : they are very great, and they deserve to be included in any decent Win98SE installation, to complete and serve it better and fully, mainly for Internet use, with all the multimedia comfort and security !!!

Thanks.

well some of those programs id rather not have because there slow or annoying or useless to me like

zone alarm (i use ipcop instead)

quicktime (quicktime alternative is smaller and has no startup items)

realplayer (real alternative is smaller and has no startup items)

yahoo messenger (include gaim or trillian instead

winzip (not free i suggest tugzip)

winrar (not free i suggest tugzip)

acrobat reader (slow, bigm, foxit reader would be better)

msn messenger 7.0 (why not use 7.5 or include gaim or trillian instead)

it would be better to have these programs in a seperate patch

its a nice idea though

Edited by awergh

I think we should have a new service pack with the whole 9 yards in it

Gapes SP

maximus-decim MDIE6CU 1.1/USB

DX9

WMP9

Mdac 2.8

and every other hotfix/update from MDGx (all MS Updates) and the others all in 1 bundled package like

XPSP2.

But since support ends for Win98SE after this service is installed there will be nothing left to

update because everything is included in this package.yeah the package might be big

but it will be worth it instead of having the same/similar packages that would

require multiple installations.

I'm sure some1 can reduce the size to a reasonable download after editing and so forth

removing all obselete files etc...

I have over 200 updates installed on my computer and it remains under 1gb on my harddrive

with other apps included and mines aint even trimmed down

Updates ONLY

No 3rd Party Apps

Every Bite Counts

98SE SP3 Final would B a perfect name 4 it.

I think the biggest problem is lack of testing and feedback.

All patches and fixes require deep testing in various hardware and software environments.

Some incompatibilities has been identified and files not included, like ESDI_506.PDR 4.10.2226 and others.

Many reprted bugs were not tracked down, like various problems with modems.

And the worst thing, the registry corruption was solved by switching off registry consistency tests (SystemReg=0).

There are just a few people able to test the fixes and the service packs in whole - but usually in one (or a few) environment(s) only. And this is definitely not sufficient to make any high quality service pack.

Petr

Maybe windows update may continue to be used, supposed by a user that just re-installed his Win98SE, AFTER the 11/07/06, but I'm not sure, and for how long, that is the big question.....

Windows Update for Windows 95 is still operational....

Petr

Windows Update for Windows 95 is still operational....

Petr

yup but Win95 users will be using the V3 Windows Update site. Win98/ME users will be directed to the V4 Windows Update site.

Is Windows Update still functioning for Windows NT4, Petr?

I think the biggest problem is lack of testing and feedback.

All patches and fixes require deep testing in various hardware and software environments.

Some incompatibilities has been identified and files not included, like ESDI_506.PDR 4.10.2226 and others.

Many reprted bugs were not tracked down, like various problems with modems.

And the worst thing, the registry corruption was solved by switching off registry consistency tests (SystemReg=0).

There are just a few people able to test the fixes and the service packs in whole - but usually in one (or a few) environment(s) only. And this is definitely not sufficient to make any high quality service pack.

Petr

I'm sure if someone get it started things will fall into place

Its a lot of talented people on this forum, what one person can't do let another one do it

maybe Tihiy can create a unique UI for it or something

after all support ends in 4 days that will give someone(s) the time to test now that most

of the bugs are fixed.If all of us contribute just a small portion we will have it done in no time.

Its too many Win98SE/ME users not to be able to get this done.

This we be the ultimate package.Just give me a task and i'll start it immediately asap.

A lot of us has strong points in certain fields

and a lot us has weak points in certain fields

But put us all together their is no weak points.

My strongest point is time I have more than you can imagine.

LETS SEND WIN98SE/ME OUT WITH A BANG!!!!

AND there are also some problems that have gone UNnoticed (that I have found) especially when removing/un-installing Gape's 98se SP. for example, removing the 98se SP restores the dhtmled.ocx file from original 98se setup files, which it should NOT do if IE 5.01 or higher is installed. it also removes the "Show File Attributes in Detail View" during un-install which it should NOT do too.

so there are more issues to deal with the 98se SP. I think I can fix many of those. if I have time, maybe I can make a beta of the next release of the 98se SP if it is ok with Gape. I wont do it without Gape's approval.