nLite 1.1

bonedaddy

sure why not makin it open source

i wanna see nLite Ultima Bug Edition

nLite Enterprise Bug Edition, nLite Power Bug Edition

would be cool to have more then 10 versions

and iam sure there will be peoples which make his edition buyware, and for sure there will be peoples like this: please donate for my "hard" work :)

anyway i only trust nuhi, iam sure there r many things which only he knows

Make nLite an open source project, I don't see any disadvantages. :blushing:

Edit: I just noticed that Alanoll said almost the same thing :P

Actually, no i didn't. I say make a sort of SDK to ALLOW for opensource modules to be created, but I never said nLite itself should be opensource. I remember all the old discussions of open sourcing nLite, and I still agree with nuhi that it should stay closed.

Desktop Sidebar operates that way. I believe it's closed source freeware, but there's an SDK for others to make their own plugins. The system works rather nice. On the downside and as was pointed out by Alanoll, it would likely require a huge amount of recoding to make things modular.

...Make nLite modular. Have a base engine that loads modules...

i'll second that. good idea -- provide an SDK so people can write modules.

Make nLite an open source project, I don't see any disadvantages. :blushing:

I don't know what nuhi's intentions are over the long run. If he doesn't intend on commercializing it, then i agree, though i don't think this would be an easy task. Also don't know if he's signed and NDA's with MS that would prevent releasing parts of the code.

I know this will never happen but it wloud be really freeky if...

nLite had the ability to make its own addons similar to the nLite Addon Maker, maybe there can be a nlaom tab just before the Integrate Hotfixes, were u can make your addon by choosing a raw EXE or MSI file, selecting the silent switch from a menu and then creating addon. Then move to the next tab and integrating it along with the Hotfixes/UpdatePacks.

I hope i was clear enough :whistle:

I don't know what nuhi's intentions are over the long run. If he doesn't intend on commercializing it, then i agree, though i don't think this would be an easy task. Also don't know if he's signed and NDA's with MS that would prevent releasing parts of the code.

Again, I'm not talking releasing the source code of Nlite. As for commercializing, many commercial applications allow for addons to be created (IPB anyone? :P ). WMP has skins, Winamp has it's plugins, so on and so forth.

That would be most beneficial to combine the nLite addon maker into the nLite program itself, to further the setup customization experience. Additionally, I agree with the ability to allow opensource plugins and keeping nLite closed. The ability to run nLite from a command prompt (unattended) would be superb as well.

I also second the removal of more components, which further makes nLite even more amazing than it is already, and possibly a mini-wizard for constructing the $OEM$ folder. Perhaps add a feature for files to ADD to the system32 folder to be compressed using 7zip. Finally, I definitely support nLite staying closed, for this program is big enough to get a job anywhere. I would like updated descriptions of example programs that missing components depend on and what the functions of the components are. Additionally, could there be a listing within the description of each component that specifically lists the files that are removed?

I second rado354's comments. A folder removal feature would be useful. There's a feature to remove individual files from System32 but not folders. It would be really nice if there was an option to remove folders - such as the ones rado354 listed, and a number of others (maybe the user could select which ones to remove). One of the first things I do after installing is to remove a number of empty, annoying and useless folders from Program Files, Windows and System32.

Also, what about an option to specify the swap-file size?