Win XP or Server 2003

DaveXP

Which One  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Which One

• Windows XP Pro
    • Windows Sever 2003
    • Other

I believe it is more optimized because after configuring Server 2003 to act as a workstation (and turning on many services) to make it act like XP, it still functions faster than a default XP SP2 installation (with some services disabled)...

yeah i've noticed the same behaviour...

Depends what machine you use it on... On my dell cpi-a xt400 400 Mhz 128 Mb ram machine server 2003 works better than xp pro or 2000 pro ... (of course when tuned as "workstation") ... Suprisingly though... :blink:

and yeah this is what i noticed too. on my machine a PIII-500MHz-256MB-RAM it runs somewhat better. not that dramatically boosted but more than i expected!

Personally, I like XP more. Sure, Windows Server 2003 is much faster, but I prefer XP such as burning discs, gaming and video. I have both operating systems. XP is more suitable for home and workstation use.

I think both operating systems are stable. And plus XP is more cheaper than 2003.

if you want to use server software like exchange and SQL or share resources over a network, use 2003.

If you want to use desktop software, use XP.

I cant see any reason for debate. Its like saying racing car or 4x4. It depends what you need it for. I use desktop applications and games at home so I bought Windows XP. For the network at work, I installed 2003. There's no real answer as to which is best.

something funny in my experiences with windows, windows 95 and windows xp are both my favourite operating systems. iv never used windows 2003, so i dont know if its any better. everyone has their own opinions. i cant make you have one or the other. the best bet you have is install them both and see which you like the best. its the only way to really go with it.

but, i like windows xp, im running it on both my computers (desktop : amd athlon XP 1800+ 512mb ddr ram, ati radeon 9200SE 80gb hdd, laptop : dell inspiron 7000 PII 366 224mb of ram) and they both run great. the laptop is a little slower but i can live with it because i need it for internet and IM and the odd document. id like to get windows server 2003 and check it out, because its the last os from MS i want to see for myself.

so make the judgement for yourself and see what its all about :) also if they try to make the best all around os, it will get too complicated and become unstable then people will blast the developer. another thing that iv seen a lot of is people get an OS installed and they have one problem with a piece of software and they blame the OS developer. computers arent perfect, theyre programmed by humans.

-brian

Edited by brian10161

Horses for courses. If you need the features of Server 2003 then you should use it - if you dont then youll probably find XP pro far more economical at less than half the price (you were of course talking about a legitimate copy right? ;) )

I voted Server 2003, my qualification is based on it and it makes my work just that little bit more bearable :)

i'm running the web edition of 2k3 and it runs great. it detected all my hardware and i haven't had any crashes or delays

Unfortunately the web edition doesn't support IrDA :unsure:

that's why I switched to Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition B) B) because I can't live without my lovely IrDA adapter :lol: (used for modem)

If the machine is intended to act as a server then surely w2k3, if not win xp.

*EDIT*

At work I'm using w2k3 on the server, at home I'm running Win XP MCE 2005. Couldn't do without w2k3 at work and at home would be unnecessary.

Edited by nitroshift

This entire topic reminds me of a guy I went to high school with and he swore that if he bought a 4 cyl. Mustang and upgraded it to an 8 cyl., it would be faster than one built with an 8 cyl stock. His reasoning was that it was lighter weight because of the extra support they put in the 8 cyl models.

The thing is that they do sit on the same frame and when you change one to be like the other...well you end up with much the same product...less what you didn't change.

Guess I'm just old school, but I run XP pro(for my desktop) fully updated and have NEVER experienced a crash and my install is 3 years old. Also the performance is great. I run...wait for it...wait for it...03 server for my domain controller and another as my webserver and experience much the same reliability and performance. I do use tweak03 so I can have my pretty icons and such. That is more of a lazy thing as you can get all those tweaks by using regedit.

Edited by snafumaster

This topic is actually really rediculous.

Windows XP is meant for common computers, Server 2003 is meant for servers. Plain and simple. The fact that Win2k3 has the 5.2 kernel will not mean that it'll run 50% faster (or whatever) than the 5.1 kernel in XP. The kernel does not just have to deal with memory management, but it controls the entire system. Going from 5.1 to 5.2 is not a major revision, and is probably just the improvements that they had between 2001 and 2003.

I'm getting ready to close this topic. It started off on the completely wrong basis, and isn't getting any better... :}

Windows 2003 is a bit faster than Windows XP. I prefer Windows 2003 for remote desktop and development, but the price is too higher. Moreover all hardware supported by Windows XP is supported by Windows 2003, so i can too play on it very wekl.

• 2 months later...

:wacko: / :crazy: <= me after reading all this... LOL

Windows server 2003 is the best OS ever... it is fast and its sabil...

and ALL progams, drivers and games run on it (or ofcuz the XP changeing progams does not work but why the he|| use em).

to get directx"all vs." go to = http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

and remember or learn it now. srv 2K3 is made from NT so if you need a driver try the Xp vs. if it dont work try the driver for Windows NT

if you want to run windows server 2003. use the guide to convert it to a workstation =) but read it 2 or more times befro doing it and skip the stuff you think that arnt usefull :thumbup and you maybe are to go Download TweakNT if you want to i know that MSFN dont MAY show it a a link any more but it is to find on google :blushing: and the TweakUI read the guide to make it wiew abel in control panel adn download the new vs. it's a good tool if you dont want to use the NT one :)