Win XP or Server 2003

DaveXP

Which One  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Which One

• Windows XP Pro
    • Windows Sever 2003
    • Other

Yep, cost always is an issue. (else why are you living in an apartment/small house when a mansion or castle is what's best for you, along with a dozen sports cars??)

I like XP Pro a lot better and it actually is a lot faster than 2003 (if you do have themes and all that GUI crap disabled). It's been actually more stable for me as well and less driver issues too. The only thing I use 2003 for is as my dedicated server (IIS, ftp, storage and such). Otherwise I only use XP Pro.

• 3 months later...

You are all crazy.

There is no discernable difference between the two. Server 2k3 is built on the Windows XP code it just has unnecessary services/themes/hardware accel turned off by default.

If a piece of hardware is flaky its an improper install or poorly coded drivers, not the OS. Driver support is exactly the same in either OS.

Now, what's this foolishness that Windows Xxx is making hardware run hotter? That's absolute BS.

For typical usage Windows XP Pro SP2 is the better of the two. Why? Price! The OEM version can be had for a little over $100.

For a "workstation" Windows XP Pro SP2 is the better of the two. Why? Price! And, XP Pro will run all of your "workstation" apps just as 2K3 will. They're both NT. Professionals don't need 2K3 to work on!

Garbage! BS! Rant! Rant!

Bottom line is, there's no reason to use Server 2003 unless you're actually running a file/web/ftp server with more than 10 clients. Otherwise you can get the same product for much less, its called Windows XP.

win2k3!

i can do the same or better than XP!

GAMES / Appz / ALL

WIN2k3 0wnz y00

:lol:

That is one of the stupidest comments i have ever heard...

Yes, it is more secure and more stable, but you give up performance in games, applications, etc for those features. Windows 2003 Server is meant to run server apps, like say a website or say a network application that runs in a compnay intranat. You could also(like me) have multiple 2003 servers and run a multitude of different things on them... Like one is a dedicated router/firewall/nat box, where one is a dedicated file server with 2 tb's of space, and another one runs my personal website.

Idn, XP is for gaming, 2003 is for servers... And dont try to run server on something gross, like a cellery processor. or anything under 2.4ghz :) lol

For all you people who want to use Server2003 as a general use computer... you've got to be kidding...

If the extra $300-600 isn't enough to convince you, think about the fact that Server 2003 was designed to be just that... a server. It'd be like trying to race with a tank vs a ferrari (which some people are still stupid enough to try).

XP Pro is about as good as it gets right now in terms of a common use computer.

I run Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium at the office (as a server). It's certainly a beautiful piece of software, but I would never think of running it on my workstation. If I had the money I would run my own domain at home with it, just for the hell of it. I understand the people who convert it to a workstation... I'm just as much into tearing stuff apart just for the sake of knowing I can do it... but then I would be done. If you run Windows 2k3 Server on your desktop you are delusional. I will bet that of the 60 some people (at this time) who have voted "yes" that they run 2k3, 99% of them aren't running a legal version. You sacrifice video performance. Your a fool IMO if you run 2k3 server on your PC.

it's best to run server oses for server related stuff cuzz if you mess something up you'd need to reinstall win server 2003

xp is good for non server related stuff and you don't need to tweak it hard to be a workstation os as it already is a workstation os

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

All you really big techno geeks, I would like to all tell your one thing, you can F***ing tweak the 2003 to a workstation, but getting the games to work is really dificult, I tried it and was no brainer that some games just refuse to run, unless you reiengeer them in some way, which would void your warranty for the game, My personal 2 cents, the OS is amazing for all the things that you can do with it provided you use it as what it was meant to be used for, Terminal server, Media streaming, File server, Web server, if you just wanna play games best assured it is best done with XP

Hello every1! I'm curently using Win2k3 Enterprise Edition and it's awesome. I'm not much of a gamer, the only game I play is Poker and it runs great. I love Win2k3EE+SP1. My PC is a fortress now. :D I choose Win2k3S+P1 over XP+SP2, which I think is a big crap.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

All you really big techno geeks, I would like to all tell your one thing, you can F***ing tweak the 2003 to a workstation, but getting the games to work is really dificult, I tried it and was no brainer that some games just refuse to run, unless you reiengeer them in some way, which would void your warranty for the game, My personal 2 cents, the OS is amazing for all the things that you can do with it provided you use it as what it was meant to be used for, Terminal server, Media streaming, File server, Web server, if you just wanna play games best assured it is best done with XP

If you grab the Application Toolkit från MS (free)..you can emulate an XP and install anything you want...It's just a matter of getting past by that OS checker in the install and then your just fine ;)