Win XP or Server 2003

DaveXP

Which One  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Which One

• Windows XP Pro
    • Windows Sever 2003
    • Other

I remember a not-so-friendly "friend" of mine getting freaked out.. :)

Yes that was a thumb up. That guy always beat me up when RPing. :rolleyes:

BTW, quoted emoticons reduced to get around the max emoticon limit.

BTW again, quoted material removed because of this stupid board (don't get me wrong I love it) simply wont let me post this (can never remeber to remove the original post section when the quote is on the post box when an error occurs.)

P.S. since quotes removed: this is about DaveXP getting scared of Aubs_Uk's sign

I wonder how many people are just getting a nice placebo effect and "thinking" it's faster or more stable? I mean, they are practically the same OS; 2003 is just XP with lots of features disabled and more server specific features thrown in. Now that SP2 is here XP is actually the newest and most secure OS (until SP1 for 2003 comes along). :)

I wonder how many people are just getting a nice placebo effect and "thinking" it's faster or more stable? I mean, they are practically the same OS; 2003 is just XP with lots of features disabled and more server specific features thrown in. Now that SP2 is here XP is actually the newest and most secure OS (until SP1 for 2003 comes along). :)

Is not a placebo effect, 2k3 is really more faster and stable than any Xp, he have something to be good and bether, because it's 4 servers. :P

well I'd say if he's not, hmm though this is a very old topic and davexp is not visiting the forums,..... and he's already made a choice.

why I'd choose pro over server. I play lots of games, and though they've similar core i'd still guess that pro is more gaming friendly then any server edition.

if u're using word procesesing, photoshop, and tools like that, u could go with server. though I think u should consider the prices.

who am I talking to anyways. ppl are just expressing comments.

1st thing that should be kept in mind is what the users going to do with th e os.

if someone's in the line of deciding whether to go with server/pro they should tell their expectations from the os, then ask questions accordingly..

also get scsi 15000 rpm hdd, 4gb ram, 512mb graphics card dual Xeon cpu and both pro and server will be enough for u.. its not simple as faster/stable. I think both are stable as they are, as long as u don't play with it too much....

and most server os's just load up slowly because they startup billions of services, unless u don't restart the speeds would be similar.... anyways.. its sleep sleep time for me..

Personally, after "trying" out Server 2k3 in both senerios, server set up as well workstation set up, (see MSFN's article about setting up 2k3 as a workstation,) I have to say, that XPPro is a much better choice for me. Though I do a lot of video work, that requires my AIW card, which is unsupported by 2k3. As far as a server goes, I still prefer to use either MAC OS X Server, or Linux for servers. As far as crashes goes, I have had more problems out of Server 2k3 than XPPro has ever given me, to date, I have only seen one blue screen in XPPro, that was back in the early days of it, before SP-1, that was due to using a 2000 driver since there wasn't an XP version at the time, which has since been taken care of. Though there are "some" features that are available one for 2k3, that I would love to see implemented into XPPro, I have and still can live without them as I have found alternatives for them using other programs that work just fine.

:o there is huge amount of diference between w2k3 server and windows xp

w2k3 server > server os

wxp > clinet os

we can use norton 2k4, panda , mcafee and other normal av with windows xp

but incase of windows 2k3 server this will be not allowed . Corporate edition of symatec av such as 9.0 and incase of panda (panda security Administrator)

wxp, w2k,98 has limitation of hdd detection even if you have 200gb installed it will take it at the max 137 gb. In case of windows 2003 server this does'nt happen.

In case of speed Windows 2003 server is blazing . if satisfied it with proper requirements . Also less patches and bugs are present.

Unless your a software pirate, Windows XP is the answer.

At a local computer warehouse Microsoft OS's are priced as follows

2003 Server Web Edition $520

2003 SBS Edition $750

2003 Standard Edition $890

XP Home $115

XP Pro $185

With the cheapest version of server being over 4 times the price of XP home and allmost 3 times the price of XP Pro, no sensable person is going to setup a 2003 box unless they have a need for a domain and Full fledged web server and other non client features.

I have an NFR copy of 2003 Enterprise with 25 CALs. Got it for free from MS as a gift.

I also have 2 copies of SBS 2003 Premium with 15 CALs each

2 copies of 2003 Server Web Edition with 10 CALs each

2 copies of 2003 Server Standard Edition 10 CALs each

2 copies of 2003 Server Enterprise Edition 10 CALs each

I only pay $400 a year for 2 subscriptions to the MS Action Pack for Partners...

Getting legit code for next to nothing is pretty easy...

Unless your a software pirate, Windows XP is the answer.

At a local computer warehouse Microsoft OS's are priced as follows

2003 Server Web Edition  $520

2003 SBS Edition            $750

2003 Standard Edition      $890

XP Home $115

XP Pro  $185

With the cheapest version of server being over 4 times the price of XP home and allmost 3 times the price of XP Pro, no sensable person is going to setup a 2003 box unless they have a need for a domain and Full fledged web server and other non client features.

money means nothing i think.

Anyone should choose the one that fit him most.