Reduction File Sets for XP

mystek

I keep reading the HFCLEANUP resource and am confused, are the reducers in hfcleanup.zip FDV's or TommyP's?

The doc's state if using FDV's fileset no modified DLL's are required.

When using the reducers included in the hfcleanup.zip on XP Pro SP2, I am continually getting pop-ups complaining about files not being digitally signed (Microsoft Files) just testing the removal of games, which is why I am asking.

those are contributions from different HFCLEANUP gurus --- fdv, tommyp, gosh ... to name a few ...

technically it is more geared towards 2K ... but amy work with XP too as per the resource(s) we all might have read ... "your mileage may vary" :)

i too am for doing everything the HFSLIP way but if you want to reduce your source via a GUI,

* Reduce your source, an NLITE alternative (Do it at your own risk)

While I use nLite to add my drivers, I have tried nlite reducing and would prefer to use HFSLIP. I have noticed that FDV and TommyP are having the same problems with the reducers in 2003 as I have with XP. I guess nobody has come up with a solution for XP or 2003 yet using HFSLIP without modified DLL's that disable Windows File Protection.

When using the reducers included in the hfcleanup.zip on XP Pro SP2, I am continually getting pop-ups complaining about files not being digitally signed (Microsoft Files) just testing the removal of games, which is why I am asking.
I'm having the same problem with Windows 2003 and gave up after more than 10 attempts. I hope the documentation will be updated soon. Snippet from the README included in the hfcleanup.zip, relating to the reducer files:

If you are *not* using FDV's fileset (2k only), place the above mentioned files in the FIX folder.

I can't see the point of putting the reducer files in the FIX folder. They'd just get copied over into SOURCESS which isn't the point.

Also, the readme says you need SFC.DLL for Win2K and SFC_OS.DLL for XP/2K3 but it's nowhere to be found on FDV's HFEXPERT page.

I find this all too confusing....

Edited by Tomcat76

I guess the line that is right after the the modded DLLs statement is somehow unnoticed.

If you don't know what either file is, then please don't HFCLEANUP.

If you read through FDV's site, he tells you how to modify them, there is no need for me to hold their hand and tell them to go to a certain page. As far as directions go, one day I'll update them. But if you really need HFCLEANUP to work, put the contents of the hfcleanup.zip into a folder called hfcleanup. Next, put the modded and cabbed dll's into fix. Last, run hfslip and choose a, b or c for driver.cab compression.

Further development with the reduction set with XP and 2003 has been suspended. I have no desire to create them, and I have no time to waste on OSs that I'll never use. Perhaps someday, someone else will create the reducers, test it in all variations of HFEXPERT etc, and release it.